Magellan eXplorist 500 GPS

thechubbybunny

It's a great deal compared to other online retailers and it's available at the closest London Drugs.

The only downside I found, with the eXplorist 500, is that it has a rechargeable Li-ion battery pack. I prefer to have NiMH AA' or AAA' batteries instead. They are readily available anywhere just incase you don't have spare batteries or a car charger. However, the eXplorist 500 LE includes a 3 AAA' battery clip adapter but no AC adapter plug. I would've bought the eXplorist 500 LE instead at that price. Even then, $199.99CAD for eXplorist 500 is still turns out to be a better deal.

:huh:

Edited by thechubbybunny

It's a great deal compared to other online retailers and it's available at the closest London Drugs.

The only downside I found, with the eXplorist 500, is that it has a rechargeable Li-ion battery pack. I prefer to have NiMH AA' or AAA' batteries instead. They are readily available anywhere just incase you don't have spare batteries or a car charger. However, the eXplorist 500 LE includes a 3 AAA' battery clip adapter but no AC adapter plug. I would've bought the eXplorist 500 LE instead at that price. Even then, $199.99CAD for eXplorist 500 is still turns out to be a better deal.

You can purchase a battery clip adapter from many online retailers. I bought one for my Explorist 500 from Cabelas.com for about $8.00 US that I keep loaded with batteries in case my Li-ion battery fries itself again. You just remove the Li-ion battery and put in the clip loaded with 3 AAA. The Duracells only last about 4 hours, though :huh:

You can purchase a battery clip adapter from many online retailers. I bought one for my Explorist 500 from Cabelas.com for about $8.00 US that I keep loaded with batteries in case my Li-ion battery fries itself again. You just remove the Li-ion battery and put in the clip loaded with 3 AAA. The Duracells only last about 4 hours, though :huh:

Maybe NiMH batteries will last longer instead of Alkaline batteries. I know that Energizer has Lithium AAA' batteries available but they are not rechargeable. It's always good to have an alternative power source with Magellan or any other handheld gps.

Thanks for the heads-up on those battery clips though! That is helpful information.

Cabelas.com link to Magellan eXplorist 400, 500 and 600 AAA battery clip.

They might be getting rid of the portable line? I know that my 600 has malfuntioned and I have been trying to get it repaired for the last three weeks and can't seem to get any good response from Magellan. I have not received my 50$ back from the coupon I sent in when I purchased my unit back in June either so I don't know what the heck is wrong with them. Me thing the next unit will be a Garmin.

I just replaced my 10 year old Magellan 2000XL with the eXplorist 500LE. I'm extremely impressed with this unit. I like the battery clip and it seems to be working quite well with the Duracell rechargeables that I have in there now. I will be keeping some spares and old faithful handy though...for the first little while anyways. I may or mat not opt for the Li-ion cell. The receiver came with a coupon for the battery but who knows if it is still valid.

Edited by 2happy2gether