GPSmap 60csx usb cable

beauxp

Can you only use the usb data cable that came with this unit or will any 4 pin usb cable be ok to use?

Great, thanks for the info. Did not want to fry my unit

Not to pick nits (or ticks for that matter), the USB cable is actually a 5-pin cable, not a 4 -pin cable. There is a 4-pin mini-B cable, and that one won't work with the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. :unsure:

Speaking of nits and too much information, my Garmin came with a 4 wire cable. A big 4 pin connector on one end and a 5 pin mini-B on the other. On the mini-B one pin is not hooked up according to the Wikipedia. Also, from the description if a mini-A is plugged in the unit may act as a master. I wonder if the 60csx would act as a master a spew out NEMA sentences.
On the mini-B one pin is not hooked up according to the Wikipedia. Also, from the description if a mini-A is plugged in the unit may act as a master. I wonder if the 60csx would act as a master a spew out NEMA sentences.

No and No.

The Garmins do not implement USB OTG, so they aren't a master.

They implement Garmin PVT (position velocity time) protocol on the USB line, not NMEA. (There is one fairly esoteric model of the handheld line that allegedly does enumerate one endpoint as a CDC/ACM device that provides NMEA data, but it's unique in the Garmin line in this regard.)

On the mini-B one pin is not hooked up according to the Wikipedia. Also, from the description if a mini-A is plugged in the unit may act as a master. I wonder if the 60csx would act as a master a spew out NEMA sentences.

No and No.

The Garmins do not implement USB OTG, so they aren't a master.

They implement Garmin PVT (position velocity time) protocol on the USB line, not NMEA. (There is one fairly esoteric model of the handheld line that allegedly does enumerate one endpoint as a CDC/ACM device that provides NMEA data, but it's unique in the Garmin line in this regard.)

Yes, I looked at my 60csx and the USB connector is the B only type. There is a plastic post in the middle that would block the plastic insert of the mini-A plug. I like wikipedia a lot.