Caching In South Carolina

JMBIndy

I live in Indiana while my sister lives in SC. She's new to it all and will soon go to her first social occasion to meet local cachers. From chatting with her, though, it sounds like there may be a lot more restrictions there than here.

What kind of limitations has the state of SC placed on caching, if any?

To get the idea of what I mean, it will be easier to tell you what we can do up here.

Cemetery caching is very popular here. As long as it isn't posted as a private location, caches are placed within it, using common sense (ie not on or near tombstones or anyplace that would interfere with normal routines). A lot of our modern cemeteries are park-like in atmosphere, which makes them attractive to cachers and non-cachers alike. What's called the Pioneer Graveyards are very popular too, but there again, the same common sense is used when placing caches.

City and neighborhood parks, depending on the county, may or may not require permission. Marion County, where I live, is aware of geocaching and does not require permission. State Parks and property belonging to the DNR require permission, but they are pretty good about allowing it. There again, common sense in placing the cache is used.

Outside of GC.com's list of locations that are off-limits for good reasons, a cacher merely need seek permission of the land owner.

So, now that you have an idea of what I mean, what kind of guidelines are followed there? Anything outside of the traditional GC.com guidelines?

Any and all answers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

What kind of limitations has the state of SC placed on caching, if any?

As I see it (in an unofficial, non-legally-binding light): Cemeteries are out. All other GC guidelines apply. Rare exceptions are made. Verifiable contact info of land manager/owner/permission granter must be provided to the GC Volunteer Reviewers.

State Agencies take very seriously the trust placed in their hands to manage the public's assets (in particular the historically, archaeologically, and/or environmentally sensitive areas). The State Parks are said to be soon rolling out an official caching policy. All other State agencies seem to leave it up to the local powers that be.

I would suggest that your sister speak with some local cachers in her area for more specifics.

As Llatnek said, no cemetary caches. I think if you had specific permission from the owner of the cemetary it would be allowed, but most folks have dropped the issue entirely.

A lot of counties/cities/towns have given blanket permission for their parks. For example, the county I am in, we have gotten blanket permission for all the county and city parks. We can hide in our state parks, with permission from the rangers. Some have restrictions on where the cache can be located due to historical/archilogical stuff and even due to animals. For example, in my favorite park there is a bald eagle nesting area. That is a no no for hiding anything near it.

You won't find as many park n grab, shopping center type caches around. Unless a hider has gotten permission, with a name & number, you don't find too many of those hides.

I honestly have to say that because we have to have permission, which everyone is supposed to have according to gc.com's rules, that our quality of caches is much better then a lot of states.

I have cached in MD, PA, VA, NC, FL & NC and I can tell you that SC's caches are, for the most part, of a higher quality due to the requirements. We might not have as many hidden in our state, but most are really great hides.

Oh yeah, DNR managed land, for now is a no no too. In my area, some of us have been working with DNR to allow hides on their land.

What area does your sister live in? There are several groups throughout the state and the SCGA that she can participate in and learn a lot from the other cachers.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. This definitely sheds light on the subject. I lived in SC (Charleston) for 20 years, so I understand how the history and sites must be protected.

It merely sounds like there are not a lot of limitations, just that the requirements for permission are a little stricter than what we enjoy up here. I'm not saying we are not required to get permission, just that historically, the state isn't as old as SC so we have more room to play and definitely more options.

I know you've said that hiding caches in the cemetery is a no-no, but has anyone put together a multi-cache where you visit the cemeteries for information off the gravestones, then put the information together to retrieve the cache placed off the property? That's another popular way to get people to visit the cemeteries here for the history, then lead them elsewhere for the prize.

My sister is in Charleston and will be going to her first social event next month, so hopefully she'll meet up with some friendly folk that will give her some good advice. She hasn't hidden a cache yet and I hope to help her with that at Christmas.

Oh yes, and as for the quality of hides, I know what you mean. The problem with allowing park-n-grabs is that they become common place. For those individuals who care about the numbers, they will go after them. For others, myself included, who like the journey to the hide, quality caches can be a challenge to find. I will even go for a micro in the woods, if the journey to it is scenic.

Thanks again for your comments.

I know you've said that hiding caches in the cemetery is a no-no, but has anyone put together a multi-cache where you visit the cemeteries for information off the gravestones, then put the information together to retrieve the cache placed off the property? That's another popular way to get people to visit the cemeteries here for the history, then lead them elsewhere for the prize.

I don't even think those are allowed anymore. There were some great caches like that, were the cemetery info was pretty much a virtual and then the final cache was someplace else. Those have since been archived. I miss those types of caches.

There are some great folks in the Charleston area that will definately be helpful to your sister. Lots of great, challenging caches down there too.

I don't even think those are allowed anymore. There were some great caches like that, were the cemetery info was pretty much a virtual and then the final cache was someplace else. Those have since been archived. I miss those types of caches.

That's a shame even those aren't allowed. After all, people visit cemeteries every day. Why would a cacher visiting to get information off a gravestone be any different? Oh well, thankfully I live here in Indiana where I get to enjoy the history. I recently did two multi-caches ("Tour of Crown Hill and more", "Angels"), both located in a national cemetery named Crown Hill. It was a wonderful day of research and siteseeing. The scenery is absolutely wonderful. I've lived her for 10 years and never ventured to the location. Thanks to the multi-cache, I learned a lot about Indiana history that day.

I expected Dillenger's grave to be a little more impressive, though.... :P

Cemetary "virtual" multi's exist in the state, but you won't find any getting approved now because of an attempt by a state official introducing geo-banning legislation.

That being said, the caches here that I have experienced run the full gamunt!

Hiking trails, night caches, custom containers, creative listings, and (while about 250 miles to the north of Chuck-Town) our very own Upstate S.C Geocacher's Association 11 cache L.E.G. Challenge.

And, yes...there are also many skirt-lifters, if that is what you dig.

Even with the limitations, it is still a great caching state!

Edited by Hockeyhick

Cemetary "virtual" multi's exist in the state, but you won't find any getting approved now because of an attempt by a state official introducing geo-banning legislation.

Do you know the waypoinst for any? The ones I knew of and did got archived when the legislation started.

Do you know the waypoinst for any? The ones I knew of and did got archived when the legislation started.

How about taking it to PM. The author of the legislation is still in office and I'm sure still employ the same staff. No need to make their jobs any easier.

How about taking it to PM. The author of the legislation is still in office and I'm sure still employ the same staff. No need to make their jobs any easier.

Hopefully the voters will get rid of the person come election time. There are bigger issues that the legislature should be handling instead of worrying about Geocaching.

Please let me know if any of those multi's are in the Charleston area. I would love to do one of them while home on vacation.

No problem.

First off, does any one have more information on the legistration being proposed, i.e. bill number, person submitted, link?

Second, it seems unlikely that a number of the caches I've done in the Charleston area do not have permission of the property owners. Most of these are located in public right of ways in places such as guardrails, sign post, etc. Are these public places covered by a blanket permission or just being placed without permission.

Would also like to know about required permission in the National Forest. From reading this, would guess this permission would be necessary from the local ranger's office.

Please enlighten more of us with information. I was getting ready to start planning a couple of caches in Goose Creek, but evidently need to do some more research.

Edit: Besides going into an office and asking permission, is there a nice flyer or article that clearly states the facts about GeoCaching. Figure something like this would have a better chance of getting permission for the cache.

Edited by kohldad

Second, it seems unlikely that a number of the caches I've done in the Charleston area do not have permission of the property owners. Most of these are located in public right of ways in places such as guardrails, sign post, etc. Are these public places covered by a blanket permission or just being placed without permission.

I can only speak for the Aiken Area, but permission IS needed for things like guardrails, certain types of street signs and posts. We have a wonderful relationship with the Chief of Police, Aiken's Dirrector of Public safety, and Aiken Parks and REc. We're working on others. I would check with SCReviewer, but when we first started we were told that if a garage sale sign could be hung then a cache can be placed (ie. micro) in the same location (on the sign). Still checking with SCReviewer is your best bet.

As far as giving the lanfdmanagers any sort of "paper" we have used the geocachers U flyer and a power point presentation. If you need help further feel free to hop onto the SCGA's forums www.iscga.org!