Virtual cache question

scurvypiratecrew

I've been geocaching for a little over a year and have found a few and hiden a few regular caches. Have a quesiton about virtual caches. Are they still listing new virtual caches or do you have to log them as waymarks at Waymarking.com? I'd rather have them here at geocaching.com so more people will actually find/log them. I'm about to embark on a cross country train trip and realize I won't be able to place caches in the train stations; private property and too far from home to maintain, but thought it would be fun to make some virtual caches along the way. Researching the station locations along the route, I see there aren't many of these. Also the route I'm taking has not been waymarked, so I'd be happy to waymark, but really want virtual caches.

Advice, tips welcome.

Thanks and happy caching,

Lisa

1st matey of the ScurvyPirateCrew

aaarrrrggghhh mateys!

Virtuals are no longer being accepted here. Even if they were you would not have been allowed to list "vacation" virtuals. Even virtuals have to be maintained.

Certainly not to argue with you, but I don't understand. What possible maintainence could a virtual need?

Things change. Lets say you used the 4th word on the 2nd line as your verification question. Now the park updates the signs. The word is now different. You need to work it out.

Or they remove the statue your clue was based on, and so on.

Virtuals are no longer being accepted here. Even if they were you would not have been allowed to list "vacation" virtuals. Even virtuals have to be maintained.

Certainly not to argue with you, but I don't understand. What possible maintainence could a virtual need?

Things change. Lets say you used the 4th word on the 2nd line as your verification question. Now the park updates the signs. The word is now different. You need to work it out.

Or they remove the statue your clue was based on, and so on.

Ok, so people start sending you a different word than you expect. Doesn't take much to figure out that something has changed... no biggie. I did something like 8 virts last weekend, and most of the virt owners emails bounced. Those are no longer active on the site, either... but the virts keep getting logged over and over, and cachers are making multi-mile hikes in a NWR to log them. No harm, and lots of good done there.

But a moot point, since virts aren't allowed anyway. I wish they were, or that I had discovered Geocaching in 2001. :P

Hello Lisa, welcome to "Waymarking" your dreams can be probably be granted with their "Categories"

There are many places you can add as "Waymarks" or "Virtuals" as you may want to call them or even create your own "Category" and have others submit their "Waymarks" to it.

Just search under --->Waymarking Directory and voila you have anything from "benchmarks to statues, abondoned train tunnels to town clocks or maybe some information of the train stations itself.

Bon Voyage and "Happy Waymarking"

Hello Lisa, welcome to "Waymarking" your dreams can be probably be granted with their "Categories"

There are many places you can add as "Waymarks" or "Virtuals" as you may want to call them or even create your own "Category" and have others submit their "Waymarks" to it.

Just search under --->Waymarking Directory and voila you have anything from "benchmarks to statues, abondoned train tunnels to town clocks or maybe some information of the train stations itself.

Bon Voyage and "Happy Waymarking"

Didn't you see where she says:

I'd rather have them here at geocaching.com so more people will actually find/log them.

Lisa, people like Jake39 show that while fewer people will visit a waymark than a virtual cache right now, it might not always be this way. Many people have discovered Waymarking and find it to be enjoyable. Some find Waymarking better than geocaching as they not so interested in finding tupperware as in visiting interesting places and with Waymarking you can find waymarks in categories that are interesting to you. Others find it as something they can do along with geocaching, filling in areas where there aren't many caches with other things you find using a GPS. Certainly, for those in the later category as well as for many people who like finding virtual caches, they could be better integration between the two sites. Waymarking is new and continues to grow. There is a rare opportunity to participate in the early development of Waymarking and be able to influence the direction it will take. I think the idea of Waymarking on a trip is great. Pick a few categories of things you can be looking for in your travels. Log them as new waymarks if they haven't been listed yet or visit them if they are already waymarks.

Not so much maintenance, but things change and the owner may have to visit to evaluate the situation. Virtuals have disappeared, been altered, moved, removed, destroyed and access cut off due to construction or property ownership changes.