Looking to upgrade

evelbug

I curently have a Quest2 that I use for caching. I was considering upgrading to a unit that has a magnetic compass and just using the quest for auto navigation.

Is the 60csx going to be worth the additional cost over the Vista Cx. Or should I consider someone other than Garmin.

Any help is appreciated,

Bug

Hi evelbug!

just thought I'd say "hi" to a fellow PUXer and Geocacher! I was considering both the 60cx and the Venture Cx before I bought my Lowrance iWay 100M (too good a deal to pass up for a versatile little unit!). For an opinion on the Vista Cx, you might ask Buxcamper. I think he just bought a Venture Cx, which is basically the same as the Vista.

Have you looked at the Lowrance color units (H20C, ExpeditionC)? I think the Expedition C compares with the 60cx with the exception of quad-helix antenna. IIRC, the Expedition C does have the compass and barometer.

See you at FYBO III!

-Scoob

I know to stay away from the magellan...but thats irelevant. I would vote for the 60CSx over the Vista Cx because...60CSxs are only $50 more (approx ...check out Amazon) than Vistas. Features are identical except for the SiRF receiver (which I feel is worth the extra expense the signal stays with you better)I happen to have a Venture Cx, but I use a friends 60CSx a lot and have used a Vista C also.

Edited by Swink Family

Why do you think you want an electronic compass?

An electronic onboard compass is handy for live triangulation of the waypoint long before you get to your target.

For instance, on my MeriPlat, I will have a waypoint as a Goto and the compass will give me the bearing I'm traveling, the bearing of the waypoint and North (if it is different from my COG) all at the same time. The standard rosette on a GPS will not do that. The 3-axis compass on the MeriPlat gives the added advantage of being able to be held almost completely upright with minimal degradation. To me, it has proven invaluable and worth the extra bucks for the feature. The lack of the 3-axis feautre on other brands is largely why I have yet to upgrade to a more "modern" GPS.

I've been using the 60CSX for a couple of months and really appreciate using the compass. Every once in a while is goes a little wacky and must be recalibrated, normally after a battery swap but the process takes less than 20 seconds. I really like the the ability to sight the compass to a distant object, say from a high spot on a slope to a distant reference point, then travel the course following the compass without having sight of the distant object - it even has a distance off course which is also handy in marine navigation for figuring "set".

An electronic onboard compass is handy for live triangulation of the waypoint long before you get to your target.

With all due repect, the question is for the OP.

I am personally well aware what a compass does as I have had a GPS with one for 6 years. I would like to know why the OP thinks they need one.

Thanks for all the replies. There are a couple reasons I want to get a new receiver.

The reason I want one with a compass is I have not had alot of luck with the pseudo-compass on the Q2. Alot of times I'l be walking around and the compass on the Q2 doesn't update. (or the bering pointer moves but the ring that points north doesn't update and I have to guess which way to go based on if I get closer or farther).

Scoob - You planning on looking for any caches at FYBO3?

Another reason is there are a couple features on the Q2 I don't like. The main one is the way it rounds distance. It's also a little awkward to use as a handheld.

With all due repect, the question is for the OP.

I am personally well aware what a compass does as I have had a GPS with one for 6 years. I would like to know why the OP thinks they need one.

With all due respect, I gave one reason why in regards to your question. THIS is an open forum. IF you don't want anybody chiming in on YOUR question, don't post it.

I'm not sure if i'm brining my GPSr. However, if someone does and wants to go caching.... I'm game!

Cool... I'll have mine (so I can find my way there). Maybe we can get some more people to join in. (Now to bring it back on topic so I don't hyjack my own thread :P ) Maybe someone there will have one of the gps's I'm considerind and I can look at that.

Do you REALLY mean a magnetic compass?

I mean one that has a compass built in (i.e. 60 csx) as opposed to the ones that calculate which direction you are facing based on change in position (i.e. my current quest2 or etrex legend). If i did not use the correct terminology, I apologize. What I meant was a gps that shows heading based on the earth's magnetic field.

Edited by evelbug

Do you REALLY mean a magnetic compass?

I mean one that has a compass built in (i.e. 60 csx) as opposed to the ones that calculate which direction you are facing based on change in position (i.e. my current quest2 or etrex legend). If i did not use the correct terminology, I apologize. What I meant was a gps that shows heading based on the earth's magnetic field.

I believe we all know that he means a gps with a compass that ACTS like a regular magnetic compass. Hey evelbug, if you don't need a mapping gps, consider a Garmin etrex summit. It's one tough GPS. I have an old scratched up one that i always have in my knapsack or in my pocket. My Legend CX is a great gps and well taken care of. but the summit takes a beating. But there indeed are times that I do use the summit just for the magnetic compass feature alone. Great backup gps, and great for geocaching if you dont need maps. Providing it's limited information for waypoints is suffice for you.

If i did not use the correct terminology, I apologize. What I meant was a gps that shows heading based on the earth's magnetic field.

No need to apologize; your terminology was perfectly correct. A "magnetic compass" is any instrument that indicates direction based on sensing the magnetic field. There are then various possible technical implementations. Mechanical devices with magnetized needles, flux gate electronic sensors, and null-reading "earth inductor" coils are all examples of magnetic compasses.