Serious Question About map 60csx and maps

Raven02

I am Thinking about buying the 60csx, but the issue of buying all the maps for topo, citynav etc. could make this a very expensive unit. Because the 60csx only comes with a base map that is pretty much worthless, and I would have to buy more maps at $100 plus. Is there a unit that will do almost the same as the 60csx with the maps preloaded? Is the 60csx that much better than the other units on the market? I am new to this and would find any info valuable. Please help lead me in the right direction.

The 60CSx really is one-of-a-kind. There are some magellan units that are almost as good but the 60CSx is still the leader by far. I'd just get citynav if you're going to be doing a lot of driving or finding caches in places where finding the streets could be difficult. If you're into back-country geocaching or hiking, get topo. You really don't need both.

The 60CSx really is one-of-a-kind. There are some magellan units that are almost as good but the 60CSx is still the leader by far. I'd just get citynav if you're going to be doing a lot of driving or finding caches in places where finding the streets could be difficult. If you're into back-country geocaching or hiking, get topo. You really don't need both.

TY for the advise. I will mainly be using the 60csx for caching as I have a tomtom go 700 for the roads. That is why I was looking for a gps to cache with. Do I need the topos if just caching?

TY for the advise. I will mainly be using the 60csx for caching as I have a tomtom go 700 for the roads. That is why I was looking for a gps to cache with. Do I need the topos if just caching?

The basemap covers main roads, not local streets. Why not try the unit first; you can always add maps later. I did caching and benchmarking for four years with the basic yellow etrex (no mapping function at all). Sometimes I got lost, and sometimes it took me a bit longer to get where I was going, but in terms of the hobby, the coordinates are what you need.

-ArtMan-

You don't have to have TOPO to geocache. It is nice to have though when you are hiking to a cache since it also displays major trails, and will tell you if you need to climb that mountain or go around to find the cache. It also is nice to know you are hiking up the right side of that creek when you are looking for a cache. :D

I've found that really small dirt roads are included in City Select. Doesn't always navigate on them but displays them usefully. Sometimes I have to switch to offroad and then zoom the view in and out to manually view and choose the correct road to drive on.

Topo are great but primarily for hiking or dirt biking. Still don't "navigate" on the topo roads they just show where your are as you move along. No beep beep turn here.

I've found that really small dirt roads are included in City Select. Doesn't always navigate on them but displays them usefully. Sometimes I have to switch to offroad and then zoom the view in and out to manually view and choose the correct road to drive on.

Topo are great but primarily for hiking or dirt biking. Still don't "navigate" on the topo roads they just show where your are as you move along. No beep beep turn here.

I'm still new to caching, but I spent several months researching several receivers before making my purchase. From what I discovered, all units (worth having) require you to purchase additional maps, if you want any detail. This is how they make their money. Therefore, it is important to get the receiver with the most functionality for the best price you can. I decided on a Lowrance Expedition C Plus. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I strongly concidered the 60CSX, but after reading more reviews than I can count, and countless rants in forums about what users wanted changed, I decided that it REALLY wasn't worth the extra 100.00 or so. I also noted that the accuracy of the 60CSX (posted by users) wasn't any better than what I'm getting with my dual processor Lowrance.

Garmin's customer service is said to be top notch. I've called Lowrance once with a software related question, and they were very helpful as well.

Do your research. It's a big decision and a big purchase (at least it was for me). I'm sure you're going to love whatever you go with......GPS receivers can open up a world of fun! :D

will