Garmin 60 vs Garmin GPSMAP 60

sunkat

I'm trying to explain to my husband why I should have a Garmin GPSMAP 60 vs the Garmin 60 (no color on either out of our price range). He wants to know what other Geocachers have to say about why I need the MAP one vs the no map.... anyone who can help one way or the other ... He's looking at it from the price stand point as the Garmin 60 is 139 dollars vs the MAP60 which is 229 dollars... Please help! I'm still too new to give him an educated reason.

Thanks

Kate

comparing the two I would probably buy the yellow 60 without the maps, since the gpsmap 60 has very limited map storage and no color(makes maps WAY better). also you have to buy detail maps since the basemaps are very limited.

that's what we were wondering.... I was hoping the GPSMAP 60C would be discounted as it's being discontinued but no such luck... story of my life (hummmm wonder if I should wait and see what happens to the market.)

thanks!!!

kate

I just bit the bullet and bought the GPSmap 60CSx and I love it. I had a no color Lowrance for the last 8 years and it finally died on me. Go for the color screen it is really a great feature and the battery life (compared to my old Lowrance) is amazing for just two AA's. It is worth the extra cost if you use your GPS very much. As far the mapping features that Garmin has for Topo and Streets are good streets are better then Topo but base map that comes on the unit is helpful on major roads but lacks the detail the topo program provides. The option to be able to add the maps is a great feature. Good Luck! Hope you get what you wanted

Frankly the Map60 @229 doesn't strike me as a particularly good deal. While it's nominally a mapping unit, the basemap is very coarse and adding detailed maps would cost another $100 and is limited on that unit by a memory that's really too small for Garmin's current street maps.

Instead of trying to sell him on a $229 geocaching-only item, I'd opt to go a little further up in price and get something that can be used for both geocaching and day-to-day trips as well. E.g. I've seen the Quest for under $300 and it is small and versatile enough to use for geocaching, but it also comes with the detailed streetmaps and car accesories to be a good vehicle navigation system. Just avoid getting lost a few times on either vacation or business trips and it'll pay for itself in reducing wasted time and aggravation. Another option would be the eTrex VentureCx combined with CityNavigator for asimilar price. It's a bit more geocaching and hiking focussed but can still be used for car navigation.

Get an Etrex Venture Cx, $200 after the $50 mail in rebate. Colour, auto-routing, expandable memory.

It would cost less than $200 after the rebate, If you bought from tigergps.com it would be $209.33 - $50 rebate = $159.33

I agree it is way worth spending the little more and getting this over the yellow 60 series or the gpsmap 60.

Get an Etrex Venture Cx, $200 after the $50 mail in rebate. Colour, auto-routing, expandable memory.

It would cost less than $200 after the rebate, If you bought from tigergps.com it would be $209.33 - $50 rebate = $159.33

I agree it is way worth spending the little more and getting this over the yellow 60 series or the gpsmap 60.

Well, whether good or bad, I found a GPSMAP 60C for 238 dollars and hubby said ok (I think, his comment was "That's not a bad price" don't know if that mean ok but I took it as such).

thanks all!!!! :D:D

The GPS60 Map is good if you get the addtional TOPO or Street software for the unit. Otherwise the map version is lacking a lot of detail. In terms of storage, I can upload a little more then 1/2 of Illinois with the topo data based on the memory that comes with the unit.

Ed