AutoRoute co-ordinates

Hi All, I wonder if someone could tell me how I convert the Decimal output that I get when I go to Autoroute, into the WGS84 format that is used by my Garmin. I have been to numerous conversion sites on the web but my inputs dont relate to the outputs. I am clearly doing something wrong. But what?

This is what I do..........................

I input N52 34 414 and then E 000 33 985

I use the format 52 34 41.4 and I get 52.681667

00 33 98.5 and I get 0.823611

This puts my cache about 14 miles away from its location.

I would like to use Autoroute for mapping purposes, so is there an easy conversion ?

Autoroute output is decimal degrees, while the 'normal' geocaching format is Degrees - Decimal minutes

To convert eg N 51.12345 from Autoroute

The degrees are the same - 51

Then take the decimal part and multiply by 60 to conver to minutes. .12345*60=7.407 minutes

So the coordinate becomes N51 07.407

WSG, OS grid etc. have nothing to do with this. They refer to the measurement datum not the units of measurement.

Hope this helps

Hi All, I wonder if someone could tell me how I convert the Decimal output that I get when I go to Autoroute, into the WGS84 format that is used by my Garmin

AUTOROUTE is ( in my esteemed view ) a 'Geo-Must-Have'. Its is WSG84 based.

Take a location as: N 51° 29.069 W 000° 17.299, which is for one of my caches. if you look up GCYRMB then you'll also see the British Grid: TQ 18947 77563. Autoroute will accept this directly so you are in luck and no conversion is required. But you can do it anyway.

Take the Northing first, and only the minutes: 26.069, divide this by 60 and you get 0.43448. This gives the Autoroute Northing as N 51.43448. For the Westing, exactly the same; take only the minutes: 17.229, divide this by 60 and you get 0.28715. This gives the Autoroute Westing as W 0.28715. So the final result Autoroute style is N 51.43448 W 0.28715 .

The reverse is equally true: Autoroute tools location sensor gives you ( lets say ) N 52.3678 W 002.0012 . In this way round, you multiply the fraction element by 60 for both Northing and Westing to give: N 52 22.068 and W 002 0.072 - and that's not the final location of any my caches. :(

this may not help the problem but may help going the other way

Depending what you want to do....... upload GPSr to GSAK ... Filter if you want..... export to MS Streets and tips..... in Autoroute use inport data wizard... hey presto all your waypoint plotted on ARoute and you can change the icons if you want to show different types of cache etc....... and no maths required!!!

Edited by fuzzybears

Hi All, I wonder if someone could tell me how I convert the Decimal output that I get when I go to Autoroute, into the WGS84 format that is used by my Garmin. I have been to numerous conversion sites on the web but my inputs dont relate to the outputs. I am clearly doing something wrong. But what?

This is what I do..........................

I input N52 34 414 and then E 000 33 985

I use the format 52 34 41.4 and I get 52.681667

00 33 98.5 and I get 0.823611

This puts my cache about 14 miles away from its location.

I would like to use Autoroute for mapping purposes, so is there an easy conversion ?

Thank you all for your help, I am now able to use Autoroute for Geocaching. Just a simple multiplication and Hey Presto all is revealed. The other half of Red Squadron (Ann) will be pleased.