GPSs in extreme cold

With winter just around the corner, I thought I'd pose this question sooner rather than later. Last winter there were a couple of times where it was so cold that my unit lost power real quick. I had to put the unit in my jacket for 30 minutes one time just to warm it up long enough to tell me where the cache was since it died just 30 feet from the coords. I use disposable batteries and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prevent batteries from losing power in extreme cold (by extreme cold I mean roughly -15 degrees C or so).

With winter just around the corner, I thought I'd pose this question sooner rather than later. Last winter there were a couple of times where it was so cold that my unit lost power real quick. I had to put the unit in my jacket for 30 minutes one time just to warm it up long enough to tell me where the cache was since it died just 30 feet from the coords. I use disposable batteries and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prevent batteries from losing power in extreme cold (by extreme cold I mean roughly -15 degrees C or so).

Well you can check out:

http://www.climber.org/gear/batteries.html

which suggests that Lithium Iron Disulfide batteries (Eveready Lithium cells) are much better at low temperatures than Alkalines.

My research and experience suggests that the Lithium Cells last about 2X as long (in my GPSMAP 60 CSx for example) and are 1/2X the weight of Alkalines. And work very well at cold weather.

This is the same issue that our cars face in the cold months. As the temps go down, starting energy demands increase and the capacity to deliver energy declines. It is the same with batteries for our GPSr. Lithium batteries have better cold temp operating abilities than do alkalines. Now we can get technical here on this but that is not the intention here. Also too, is the total energy capacity of the different technologies as well that can come into play here.

I use an external power cable and a small lead-acid AGM battery. There are some that are able to be fitted into coat pockets. Asides from the inconvienence of the leash, I can be on for hours in the cold. The battery that I use is 12 volts @ 18 A/H (hey, it was free). I use 1.2v 2.5 A/H NiMH in there. If I assume 200 mA draw. the AA's will last about 12 hours. The unit can draw 1.5 watts out of the big battery. That would last about 140 hours. Mind you, the numbers are on paper and YMMV.

One other issue to be aware of and that is getting the LCD panel too cold. They can crack and die or become fragile as it gets colder. So don't drop the unit when cold. The display may not survive a drop.

One of our instructors used a 76cs in Antartica last year for field work and was very unimpressed with it's performance. However it was probably the mentioned LCD issue, not a true battery issue. It would be interesting to see if the non-color units fair better in extreme cold.

I say this because thinking back I can remember him saying that other battery operated items they used in the field digital cameras etc. satalite phone, seemed to work acceptably but the GPS unit went blank within minutes, even when the units were kept in a coat until needed for measurements.

On the other hand, I don't know what the enviornmental limits garmin lists on their gps's but I'd be willing to bet it's not -25F which was probably their average field work temps.

I believe alkaline and Lithium non-rechargeable batteries do better than any rechargeable battery (nicad, nimh, or lion) so you might try a non-rechargeable lithium battery and see if that helps, if not I bet it's a screen issue not a battery issue.

I have a GPS V and the manual states two things: temp range is 5 F to 158 F and to use Lithium batteries when in below freezing temperatures.

I would love to go out GPS'ing during the winter but I had frostbite in both of my hands from many, many years ago so I have problems with them functioning when it gets cold. :P

i usually just keep it in my jacket also but it you have to use it for prolonged periods in very cold temps...

go out and buy yourself some of those inexpensive, cheap and dirty disposable handwarmer packages. you can use a couple of elastic bands to hold it in position on the back side of the gpsr.

keeps the unit and it's batteries warm, and warms your hand as you hold it also.

we frequently see -35C and colder here in the prairies...

I tried to use my 60cx with lithium batteries (2900mAh) last night and it didn't work. When I turned the unit on the splash screen loaded up but then shut off. I checked the batteries using a voltmeter and also verifed they worked by using them in a flashlight. Any idea what's wrong?

I tried to use my 60cx with lithium batteries (2900mAh) last night and it didn't work. When I turned the unit on the splash screen loaded up but then shut off. I checked the batteries using a voltmeter and also verifed they worked by using them in a flashlight. Any idea what's wrong?

After you used them in the flashlight for just a very few minutes, put them back into your GPSr and they will work there too.....(just slightly too high starting voltage)

After you used them in the flashlight for just a very few minutes, put them back into your GPSr and they will work there too.....(just slightly too high starting voltage)

So I need to burn off some voltage from the LI batteries? Any idea how much?

So I need to burn off some voltage from the LI batteries? Any idea how much?

Literally just a very few minutes, try them as they are right now,after they have been in the flashlight. It may have already been long enough.