Why is it taking so long for my cache to be reviewed and posted?

RDLSTVD

I went out Friday evening and hid a new ammo can cache. I came home and posted it on the site around 8pm. As of this message it still has not been reviewed for posting. I was hoping this would be done so that cachers could go find it over the weekend....... This is just a normal cache.

First of all, congrats on your first hide!!! And welcome to the addiction/fun!!! B)

Keep in mind that reviewers are people, too. They have jobs, families, and responsibilities outside of caching. If you posted your hide at 8 pm friday, its very possible that your local reviewer just hasn't gotten to it yet. Please remember that they are unpaid, underappreciated volunteers.

First of all, congrats on your first hide!!! And welcome to the addiction/fun!!! B)

Keep in mind that reviewers are people, too. They have jobs, families, and responsibilities outside of caching. If you posted your hide at 8 pm friday, its very possible that your local reviewer just hasn't gotten to it yet. Please remember that they are unpaid, underappreciated volunteers.

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset or mad, just was wondering. I am excited for people to find it and love doing it myself. Thanks for the feedback. Patients is not one of my vurtues...... :(

I believe somewhere on this site it says if you haven't heard from them in 72 hours to contact them, too tired to look for it at the moment though. It doesn't generally take 3 days, but it can, weekends are especially busy, and these are volunteers that hopefully have lives!

Congrats on your first hide by the way, patience is painful!

The reviewers do a great job, and I appreciate the work they do. Thanks to all of them.

I do wish they had like 1000 reviewers though, so there was less load on each of them, and the process was quicker.

Haven't had any problems myself (only submitted 3 caches, all were quickly reviewed)

What exactly goes into reviewing of newly posted caches? Do they just read through them to make sure there is no profanity and such?

The language and appropriateness of the cache description is one of more than 20 issues that need to be checked for each and every cache submission. The precise number of issues depends on the cache type. There are different guidelines that apply to event caches, puzzle caches, etc. To get an idea of all the things that need to be checked, read through the listing guidelines and make a list: is the cache near railroad tracks? is the cache near a school? is the cache placed far away from where the owner lives?

Reviewing the cache requires lots of work with maps and aerial photos, as well as research of the owner's profile, caches nearby the new submission, land manager websites, and other resources. Some of the more time-consuming tasks include making sure that the new cache is not within 528 feet of any waypoints from a nearby puzzle or multicache, and determining whether the cache is not located on land that is managed by an agency having a published geocaching policy.

Reviews can take as little as two minutes and as long as two hours, depending on the details of a particular cache. When 50 caches are hidden over a weekend, it can take the reviewer some time to work through their list of submissions.