Puzzle idea for my first cache

Nutty Squirrel

I'm thinking of making my first cache a puzzle, partially to help thwart a geothief in the area who seems to go after the easy caches. I had an idea but was wondering how absurd people may think it: what if the puzzle included a section of computer code (Java, C) which must be compiled and executed as one of the steps in producing the final coordinates?

And maybe make it a multistage where each stage instead of having the next stage's coordinates, just has a cryptic number. That number would have to be entered into the program in order to figure out what the real coords are.

I could easily solve such a puzzle (since I'm a geek), but is this just too evil for everyone else who might want to solve it? Would I just end up with a cache that no one ever visits? (At least I'll refrain from also requiring the use of a kayak! I do have some sympathy for the puzzle-solvers.)

Thoughts?

While one could bring a laptop with them, or run home and back again between each stage, it'd be possible to do without either of these. e.g. call someone up on cell phone at home, tell them the relevant info, and have them speak the results back to you. Or, execute the program "manually", as in step through each line of code by hand (while "in the field") and write down the result of each step with a pencil. Or, compile a version of this for your PDA. Or, write your own web application that outputs WAP, hook in the program to that web app, then connect to your web app with your WAP-enabled cell phone. The possibilities are endless. (Hmmm... no they aren't... I just listed them all, didn't I?)

;)

I think the cache is only limited to your imagination. The rules are pretty lax so most pass through. I have seen a cache require the internet to obtain cords. It would be ok by me. Look at it this way, there are caches hiddenunderwater for divers, on top of ridges for climbers, so why not on the net for geeks? -OpryStar

If your intent is to thwart thieves, make a difficult multi with some 10+ stages. Thieves like quick finds. Don't assume he/she may will not be able to break your puzzle.

The trend in my area is micros for urban and/or easy terrain caches; and regular containers for long hikes and/or long multies and/or difficult hides (not necessarily puzzles).

Additionally, since thieves tend to be cheap, making caches for subscribers-only will help reduce theft.

I already set out my first cache with a much simpler puzzle (and is going well so far), but next Spring I'll probably go ahead with the evil cache... horridly complex computer problem to solve, 12 stages, along 20 miles of river that can't be accessed from shore points so its motorized canoe only. Ha! Take that, geothiefs!

;)

I'm thinking of making my first cache a puzzle, partially to help thwart a geothief in the area who seems to go after the easy caches. I had an idea but was wondering how absurd people may think it: what if the puzzle included a section of computer code (Java, C) which must be compiled and executed as one of the steps in producing the final coordinates?

There's nothing wrong with being horribly evil :D

I recently did a series of puzzle caches, most of which were pretty easy. One part, however, had the coordinates encoded in an audio file of Morse Code. Naturally, I don't know Morse Code. I expect that most of the people who have solved the cache don't. If someone is determined, there are ways to solve such problems.

Your main problem, I expect, will be in ensuring that your code follows accepted standards and compiles properly in a variety of IDEs, with little or no programming language skill requirements. Most people are wise enough not to become programmers, but any reasonably computer savvy person can probably figure out where to download a free compiler and how to feed it the code you provide.

I say go for it.

I already set out my first cache with a much simpler puzzle (and is going well so far), but next Spring I'll probably go ahead with the evil cache... horridly complex computer problem to solve, 12 stages, along 20 miles of river that can't be accessed from shore points so its motorized canoe only. Ha! Take that, geothiefs!

:D

And I forgot one more thing... it'll also be a Night Cache. Yup, motorized boating down a narrow twisty branch-filled river in pitch black looking for micro caches. That'll show em. Bwahahahaha!!!