Artist Edition Coins

UOTrackers

For the sake of this thread "Artist Edition" coins are the limited edition coins that one gets for winning a contest. Example if you submit a design to Geoswag Coins and Pins, or the Geocoin Store you receive payment in coins and those coins are of a different make of some sort, metal type, numbering etc. Usually Artist Edition coins are limited in number versus the total make. Ex 30-v-1000.

So what are your opinions of these coins?

I think they are awesome, it is the minters way of saying thank you, and giving you something that very few people will ever obtain.

Another example, I have now done two coins in Utah. The first was a UTAG coin, the second was more Utah. When I did the UTAG coin there was 10 silver coins that where minted and handed out at one of the events. That makes the silver coin extremely rare.

When I did the 2006 Utah coin I had 5 Antique Copper coins minted, I handed them out to the people that helped design the coin, even more rare. I do these things as a way of saying thanks to those who dedicate there time to the project. In fact instead of being numbered the 5 copper coins say just that "Thanks!".

I don't do the these types of perks to rub in the collectors faces due to the limited numbers, in fact they never reach the hands of the collectors. They are my token of appreciation.

Like everything else, if the coins are for sale the maker should disclose that they have a LE version of the coin used for Artists or Tokens of Appreciation, or whatever. It directly impacts the collectability of the other coins.

That's a good point. Sticking with my original example on both of those pages where they ask for design submissions it explains that accepted desgins will receive a number of coins, is that good enough disclosure? Should the recipient announce what they have received even if they never intend to sell or trade them? (ex, give them as gifts or prizes).