caching along a route

I really like the caching along a route feature, but the google maps interface is a little rigid when trying to select a specific route.

does anyone know if we can use a service like mapquest beta?

you can choose up to 10 locations to form your route.

google maps only lets me go from point a to point b using the route they choose.....

that is unless i'm using it incorrectly.

any input?

For free, you get what you get. The problem is with what you use to make your route. If you will pay some cash to get the route you want, use Garmin Mapsource or MapSend software to set up your route. You can make it as ziggy-zaggy as you want. For free, you are not going to get many options. Maybe someone will have some suggestions.

Moving this to the GPS Units and Software Forum.

For free, you get what you get. The problem is with what you use to make your route. If you will pay some cash to get the route you want, use Garmin Mapsource or MapSend software to set up your route. You can make it as ziggy-zaggy as you want. For free, you are not going to get many options. Maybe someone will have some suggestions.

First, I don't think this belongs in the units and software forum at all, it should remain where it started, in the general discussion forum.

Second, I don't understand your point about you get what you get for free. The caching along a route feature is only for premium members, not non paying members.

Google Earth is free, but it is used for caching along a route on this site (for only those who pay) and it's ability to setup the route one wants is very primative. The cynical fart in me thinks that pay features shouldn't rely upon the freeware offerings of others. If the cache along a route feature is going to be dependant upon a third party freeware app, then make the feature free here too. If the feature is going to use proprietary methods to make it really slick and flexible, then sure, charge for it.

Onto the OP's dilemma.

I have found a way to get the route you want with google earth, but it is far from elegant. You need to use the placemarks in google earth. They are the icon of a thumb tack. Forget the instructions Groundspeak offers about using the directions button.

Zoom in so you can see the road you wish to start on and then click the placemark icon and place it at the start location. Next, set another placemark somewhere along the route. Now you can click on the first placemark and select "From here" and then click on the second placemark and select "to here". This fills the the from and to fields in the upper left corner and now you can make a route from 1 to 2. If you are not getting the route you wish the solution (inelligant as it is) is to set more placemarks so you end up with the desired directions in between placemarks.

This means when you upload the route you have to upload it in multiple pieces, but at least you get a listing of the caches along your route.

Hopefully version 2 of the cache along a route offers more flexibility than having to use google earth or the feature becomes just as free as google earth is.

First, I don't think this belongs in the units and software forum at all, it should remain where it started, in the general discussion forum.

+1... I also think this should be where it started.

<_< about the premium membership thing

its all been debated before

Edited by unicyclist

Hopefully version 2 of the cache along a route offers more flexibility than having to use google earth or the feature becomes just as free as google earth is.

You can use any program that produces a version 1.1 GPX file. The limitation of not being able to adjust the path of your route in Google Earth has nothing to do with Geocaching.com