Bridges to the OUter Banks (NC)

FourRiverRatz

Howdy all you geocachers out there in cyberspace!! I have a problem that you might be able to help me with. we are traveling from PA to the beautiful Outer Banks this weekend, and had planned to come down Rt 17, skirt around the VA Beach area, and then onto the Banks by way of the bridge ABOVE Kitty Hawk. Now someone today asked/told me that that bridge isn't opened...or rather it wasn't a few years back when they were there last, and had heard that it still isn't opened, and the only way across to the Outer Banks area is across the bridge BELOW Kitty Hawk (across Manteo area etc) I am hoping someone local around here can tell me asap, so we can get our route planned (and I can figure which day we are hitting which caches...lol), because if we CAN"T cross between Kitty Hawk & Duck(sorry, I don't know the bridge names), then we might need to reroute us down anothe way instead of 17. (probably 95, then across 64)

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.