Caches between Brum & Ardossan

Team Balders

Towards the end of next month (October) Team Balders is heading North from Birmingham to the Isle of Arran. Basically, which caches are...

i) Close to the M6, A74, A75, A76 and

ii) Worth stopping for

We don't want to be too delayed going up as we have a ferry to cache but may have a little more time on the way home.

Edited by Team Balders

Hi Team Balders,

Arran is a magical place and you’ll want to stay forever…..

Now I’ve got good news and bad news …..good news is that the A74 is now a motorway…. M74… :laughing:

Bad news is that no one has built the A75 A76 yet….. but hey…..there is time yetJ :ph34r:

Re route to Ardrossan….. if you are likely to be going through Glasgow at peak times …. 07:00-09:00 and 16:00 –18:00 it’s a better option to leave the M74 at J8 …. Strathhaven ( pronounced Straaven) and take the A71.

One cache along the route …Blind Harry’s Hill ….

Choose to continue through Glasgow, and there are 3 Motorway Mayhem caches on the M74…. The road to Ardrossan follows the M8 towards Glasgow Airport, and then the A737 (signposted Irvine) there are loads of caches a few miles off the road, but no cache and dashes ..a couple worth taking a break for …. depending on time available….. “Jock and Gill” and “Seamill Seals”

Enjoy Arran……. Don’t drink too much Arran Blonde :unsure:

Slainge Bob

As a completly unbiased observer, you could try:

GCTJAB, a 1min diversion off the M6 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-81e77e2195b1

Or, if you fancy a longer break, GCNFBE, about 20-30 minutes plus excellent refreshment opportunities, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e3-298b73c2c7ed

Which is also near an erratic rock, GCX3G5, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b3-3a4e38b943dc, a simple drive-by.

On the way south you could try GCY2G6, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7c-6d25edbe2634, a drive-by hill!

We've been to Arran several times and would recommend the cross-country route already mentioned - much better than going through Glasgow. (There's a nice B road that is worth taking - check the map)

We enjoyed the caches around Loch Ranza - very good.

Cheers

Yep, I'd second that. If you get time, there is a great beach at N55 26.231 W5 13.382. It was recommended to us by a local when we were on holiday earlier this year - only someone in the know could find it :lol: .

To get to it you turn off the road just after the Kilmory creamery, down a rough track (great in a 4x4, ok very slowly in a car) and there is a car park at the end of the track which isn't shown on the map. I have a photo of it somewhere.

Also if you are taking children, the Tourist Infomation do a Treasure Hunt for a £1 where the children have to look for clues in each village on the Island. Each time they find a clue they get a really nice enamelled badge free from the local shop.

Edited by It's Spitting!

Yep, I'd second that. If you get time, there is a great beach at N55 26.231 W5 13.382. It was recommended to us by a local when we were on holiday earlier this year - only someone in the know could find it :lol: .

I bet you didn't go swimming though! :lol:

Oops ..... subtlety and humour aren't easily expressed in the written form...... :rolleyes:

I use the A76 regularly ( every other day ish ) ...... and the expression wasn't intended as a comment on its existence ...purely about its functionality as an A road.................. :)

...the A75 is well known as a heavily used road for HGV's and a recognised accident blackspot in desperate need of serious improvements...

sorry sorry sorry for the confusion......

once again ..... sorry

Slainge FFB

Edited by Flyfishermanbob