Magellan MapSend Topo 3D versus Garmin Mapsource Topo map detail

iwski

I may have found the deciding factor on whether to buy a Magellan 500 explorist or Garmin 60cx.

When I look at the map webviewers from Magellan and Garmin, the Garmin maps show minor forest service roads and trails while the Magellan maps show nothing. Even some roads that I frequently travel and are considered major roads in the forest are not shown with Magellan. Is this what you have found with your own GPS? I am wondering if the map's webviewers are an exact version of what is loaded on a GPS.

Even though the Magellan maps are much more pleasing to eye as far as realistic contours, clarity, and Forest Service road numbers, having the minor roads and trails are a must for me. Please give any other comments that you have on the two maps.

Thanks

your right, but I will say that the magellan topo maps have 99% of the streets named when the garmin topo may just say "road". I still prefer the garmin topo, because I like having the trails. I also have garmins road maps(city navigator) so the roads all not being named in topo isn't an issue.

I heard from a local cacher that did the gbes rally that there Magellan topo was pretty useless for most of the trips because the roads there were on didnt exist yet they did show up on the garmin topo that his partner had.I would probably say the cx is better choice.I have used both the explorist 600 and the 60csx.The 600 was a little easier to use and a little more user friendly in my opinion but the reception of the new x series and some of the other features is much nicer on the cx