Nuvi questions

andman

Let me just get this straight. I am in the USA so the Nuvi 300 and 310 are out of the question, correct?

What's left is the Nuvi 350 and 360 which only differ by Bluetooth on the 360, is that correct?

And coming out in October is a Nuvi 660 which just adds a widescreen?

Is all of this correct?

If it is correct, I would be looking into either the 350 (since I don't need the Bluetooth that the 360 has) or the new 660. Where could I buy them the cheapest?

Thanks!

Let me just get this straight. I am in the USA so the Nuvi 300 and 310 are out of the question, correct?

What's left is the Nuvi 350 and 360 which only differ by Bluetooth on the 360, is that correct?

Is all of this correct?

If it is correct, I would be looking into either the 350 (since I don't need the Bluetooth that the 360 has) or the new 660. Where could I buy them the cheapest?

Thanks!

Nuvi 300 and Nuvi 310 are the same as Nuvi 350 and 360..... the 300 and 310 and for Europe version...

Alright, great, so my assumption was correct.

Now where do you guys buy GPS's for a good price?

it could be a wise idea to invest in a bluetooth gps...you never know you may need it one day...it could come handy in the future....i thought of getting the 350 too...but then i think maybe the bluetooth will be useful someday. i havent purchase it yet....its still a debating decision in my head

Nuvi 350 $614 USD @ amazon.com

gpsdiscount.com $639

gpscity.cm $649.99

All the Nuvi models are available in Europe. The 300 is the base model, the 310 adds Bluetooth to it. The 350 is the same as the 300 execpt it adds TTS (text to speech), and the 360 adds Bluetooth to the 350. The 600 series adds widescreen to the above.

Mapsurce DVDs are not shipped with the European ones and if you purchased in the UK Garmen will not ship you the DVD as all the maps are preloaded.

I have a 360 and am very pleased with it although it does lack some basic features like route planning and tracking. (And obviously without the DVD this wouldn't be possible anyway)

Checkout:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=172 and

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=161

Edited by TheRoundings

You forgot that the 300/310 have only regional map coverage, while the 350/360 have the full European map (Western Europe, that is).

Normally, you don't need a wider screen when you view the map, but a taller one. The iQues have a better form factor there. You want a better wiev of where you are going, not of where you don't want to go.

Is all of this correct?

Thanks!

I think the other difference between 300 and 310 is that 310 also speak street name which is quite helpful as well. not sure same for 350/360

Thanks guys!

I ended up ordering the Nuvi from Costco.com, I am a member. It was 629.99 but they charged tax :blink:

I don't mind tho because I like Costco's warranty: Take it back to any store at anytime for a full refund including tax (and shipping if ordered from the website). You can't beat that with a stick. They aren't an authorized dealer so Garmin might not honor the warranty, but Costco will take care of it for you, they even mention that little tid bit on their website.

Of course this great return policy shouldn't be abused, but it's nice to have it as an insurance policy.

I was jerked around by Garmin for almost 3 months when my 60CS broke. They sent me two replacements which were refurbished crap that worked worse than my original that I sent to be fixed. Now I don't have to worry about it.

I've got a few friends wanting to buy a "car" GPS which can also go geocaching and do some off-road... and they've been looking at the nuvi (one of them desperately wants the bluetooth thingie - the other might as well buy a 60csx).

Question is. I'm aware one can load geocaching data into the beast. I've seen people geocache with these. They convert geocaching .loc files and the such to POI and use POIloader. They store the geocaching wpt file on the GPS and it eats it up directly. They add the coordinates manually.

Now is there any nuvi unit which can load waypoints and tracks like (for instance) the Garmin GPSMAP60C does?

The Nüvi can also load up to 500 waypoints (they are called Favorites in these units), but there's no support for neither tracks nor routes.

However, note that the waypoints can't be deleted in any other way than manually, one by one! Very tedious, if you want to temporarily load a bunch of them, and then get rid of them when you are done with the activity which needed them. Like caching.

This inability to delete them all, or by symbol, is one of the more grave shortcomings of these devices.

However, note that the waypoints can't be deleted in any other way than manually, one by one! Very tedious, if you want to temporarily load a bunch of them, and then get rid of them when you are done with the activity which needed them. Like caching.

This inability to delete them all, or by symbol, is one of the more grave shortcomings of these devices.

Very rarely do I have anything to add to one of your posts, but that's not quite true. Current Nuvi firmware lets you do a 'my locations->delete all'. Additionally,m Nuvi stores all its waypoints in a plain ole GPX file. So to delete waypoints on it en masse, just connect the device to a computer and either edit the GPX file yourself or pull it into your favorite GPX editor. Save the file and wait for the OS to retire any write buffering (that's "safely remove the device" in Windows or "eject media" in others) When the Nuvi next boots up, it'll read that list of waypoints.

(It's the C3x0 brothers that I think you're thinking of that requires a full unit firmware reset to delete waypoints en masse.)