60csx - Find cache by name?

markp99

I've been playing with my new 60csx this evening (so far so good). I cannot find a way to search for a cache by name, or to see the names of the next nearest caches. All I see is the mostly-useless waypoint numbers.

I thought I had seen screenshots of the 60scx with cache names listed.

Possible?

Thanks

I alway's put my caches in by hand. Eather into the GPS it's self or in mapsource on the computer. That way the name is there and not the way-point number. And I can easly put in what notes I want. For me it is faster than using a program to load them from the web-site and then going back and changing things.

Yes. I use EasyGPS to load my GPX files into my GPS. In that program you can change preferences to load the caches by waypoint(name) or by cache name. I load them by cache name, and that is how they are showed in the GPS.

wow! thanks, I didn't know that option existed. so much easier. :laughing: I only wish my poor little etrex legend could handle the clues as well.

Yes GSAK is the way to go.

You should be able to search for the directions.

Also with GSAK you can create Custom POIs that will load the hint on the GPS

What about GSAK? I just bumped into this thread from clyde (GSAK) from back in April discussing Garmin X support:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1739&st=0

The GPSBable beta link is broken (maybe already incorporated into product by now).

Anyone doing this w/GSAK?

GSAK is just what you are looking for....it allows you to manipulate the gpx files to your liking...as a premium member you can create all sorts of cool PQ's, with the option of downloading them to your GPSr....And you will want Cachemate for your PDA.....These two programs will allow you to do amazing things with your handhelds....But thats just my opinion.....

GSAK is definately the way to go. I've had it about a month and am still learning new tricks. Right now i have it set up so my 60cx shows the code, the type, the difficulty level, what type of container, whether or not the coordinates have been corrected (for puzzle caches), and as much of the name as i can get after all that. I don't know how i ever lived without it.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1739&st=0[/url]

The GPSBable beta link is broken (maybe already incorporated into product by now).

Anyone doing this w/GSAK?

Lots of folks are using X models with GPSBabel and GSAK. That was folded into the product a long time ago in GPS years.

In the GPS, you can search by waypoint name. You cannot search by waypoint comment. So just set your tags up to write whatever you consider most searchable abe the waypoint name.

A quick explanation....

The waypoint name accepts up to 14 characters and the comments up to 30. When you export in GASK, chnage the fields in the name and comment field to whatever you want using the "special tags". You can see what special tags exist in teh GSAK help menu.

Custom POIs allow 44 characters in the name and 88 in the comments. Create GPX files with GSAK of the POIs and place in a directory of your choice. Upload with Garmin's POI loader software.

Edited by Red90

I'vw had great success tweaking hynr's GSAK maco:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2559

I've modified his macro to adjust the output string to suit my tastes. I like that I can create LOTS of POI's this way.

The POI info is truncated on the 60csx display. I chose to collapse the cache name by eliminating spaces and appended the difficulty & cache type info. The leading "." means I found this cache. My POI screen looks something like this:

GetFit!*(1/1-T/R)

.LitchfieldNHForest*(1/1

.QWERTY*(3.5/1.5-Y/S)

.CrookedSpringCache*(

TheWestfordDuckPond*

Starry,StarryNight*(4/1-

GoogleCache*(4/1-Y/U)

.TheWestfordRiver*(3.5/

.GraniteTownRailTrail*(1.

Xrossed'sLeap*(2.5/2.5

.HutchingtonHill*(3.5/3.5

StoneArchCache*(1.5/2

The "*" above is a NewLine indicator that renders in the detailed view. When I select on of the caches above, I see something like

BridgeOverTroubledWaters

(2/1-T/M)

Not in the water. By a glowing

filament elevated by a hollow tube.

Container is magnetic.

Not bad!

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Edited by markp99