garmin map 60 cx question

bobolinx

Hi all,

I have been reading forums about the 60cx vs. 60 csx and decided that cx looks awesome. However, for those of you that do have either of them, I have some quick questions.

1. I have bad eyes for reading, my legend is ok since it's easy to increase the size of numbers. Yet. how big can one make the directions while driving? Since there are no voice navigation prompts, is the screen large enough to see without glasses?

2. Which software do you use for navigating to the site? I have topo for the legend, and assume it is loadable to another garmin device, but rumor is that city select is no longer and one must buy city navigator. I read somewhere that the 60csx is only compatable with city select true or old info? The packages are selling with city select. Is this compatable with an upgrade of city navigator?

3. Does anyone use this device for both the driving to and caching? How does it work in the dual role?

4. Memory card? Can one load both topo and driving software onto the device? How big of a card would I need for New England?

Thank you for your imput! Bobolinx

With regards to software compatibility, the Garmin website does not list City Select as being compatible with any of the GPSMAP 60C series units, only City Navigator. I noticed a customer review on Amazon for the 60Cx where the buyer loaded City Select (which shipped with their old GPS 10) and it worked just fine. They had to request a second unlock key from Garmin(?).

When my latest upgrade notice for City Select came from Garmin, it was for City Navigator. Sounds like they may be phasing out City Select.

Can anyone tell me if the tracks and waypoints I have saved in City Select files transfer to the TOPO maps or City Navigator?

Thanks and happy wandering.

Hi all,

I have been reading forums about the 60cx vs. 60 csx and decided that cx looks awesome. However, for those of you that do have either of them, I have some quick questions.

1. I have bad eyes for reading, my legend is ok since it's easy to increase the size of numbers. Yet. how big can one make the directions while driving? Since there are no voice navigation prompts, is the screen large enough to see without glasses?

2. Which software do you use for navigating to the site? I have topo for the legend, and assume it is loadable to another garmin device, but rumor is that city select is no longer and one must buy city navigator. I read somewhere that the 60csx is only compatable with city select true or old info? The packages are selling with city select. Is this compatable with an upgrade of city navigator?

3. Does anyone use this device for both the driving to and caching? How does it work in the dual role?

4. Memory card? Can one load both topo and driving software onto the device? How big of a card would I need for New England?

1. I'm not sure how large you can make the numbers, but the directions zoom in and and show a big arrow right before a turn

2. I am using City Navigator version 7. It works great to navigate along the roads.

3. I use it both to drive and cache. When you select a point (or cache) you can select for the unit to "follow the road" or "follow off road (straight line)". Just select to follow roads until you get to some parking, and then hit menu on the map page, recalculate, and select "off road" to have a normal straight line to walk to the cache.

4. You can load both topo and city navigator (city select) to the memory card at the same time. You just have to select all the maps at once (select CN or CS and then select the Topos) before loading to the card. I have a 512 MB card and have most of the East Coast for City Nav and a lot of north GA, east TN, and west NC in Topos. I don't remember exactly, but I think all of New England is about 60MB using City Nav. I am not sure how much the topo maps take up. It would depend on how many of them you want. Each one is small, but it takes a lot of them if you want the entire state.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

1. The screen on the 60CSx is the same as my Quest in size and pixels, which I use for the road with not so great eyes and it works fine. The screen is small, but put far out on the bottom of the windshield, it's in my far field vision and I can read all the street names and instructions that are in a relatively large type. I normally can't read books or papers without my reading glasses, but I can read the GPS just fine.

2. I have used City Select with the 60CSx and it works fine and I see all the street maps and POI just fine. I also recently got City Navigator, and some of the directions are much more accurate, but many of the POIs are not as good with City Navigator. The biggest difference is CN has much bigger map segments than CS.

3. I haven't used either CS or CN map sets with autorouting since I use the Quest for that in the car.

4. As said before, just flip the map set in MapSource and keep selecting the other map set before downloading. Each download wipes out the other, so you need to download everything at once. You can easly flip between Topo and Street map sets via a Hide/Show menu item on the Map setup page. There's a memory and map file limit. The City Navigator is designed with bigger map segments for less map count - around 280 for the US in 1,500 MB. But the Topo maps have smaller regions so they can be more flexible for the smaller memory devices like my 24 MB Vista. Just the Topo West is 2600 maps and 650 MB. So because of map count, you can't fit all the Topo due to map segment count, especially with the smaller map segement size (more maps) of City Select. Maybe for 2000 segments, you can get the eastern third or quarter of the US for both topo and street, even with a 1 GB card.

If you are upgrading from a Etrex Legend and you enjoyed the big letter fields on that unit, then you will be happy to know that the 60Cx and 60CSx have that feature as well. And with color, the effect is even better. The contrast is better. I use my 60CSx to autroute with City Select; so I know that works. You do need a dash mount to really make that work well since that will let you put the unit into your field of vision. You probably will also want the car power cable so that the backlight can stay on when you are driving at night. I would suggest buying the automotive kit; I think that comes with maps and all the car gear you need.