Virtual Travel Bugs

Natureboy56

And... What is a Virtual travel bug?

A virtual TB is where a tracking number is passed around so people can grab a travel bug they have never seen and log it through caches they or the bug have never been to.

An example of one that hasn't been locked down yet may be found here.

Well, that post got it locked down pretty quick. GC user Star-Beam has one with the tracking number in the TB name.

Thanks a lot.

Well, that post got it locked down pretty quick.
And getting it unlocked has proven to be a time-consuming process for both me and a couple or three Groundspeak employees who very graciously and courteously advised me through the process. Now I have a dozen or so cachers asking me why I deleted their logs. If you're thinking of a kicking out a virtual Travel Bug, don't.

42c3d3b6-3559-4e9e-94ca-f17fc4e9bb37.jpg

By the way, I only made my White Jeep Travel Bug a virtual when someone held onto the physical TB for over 8 months. By coincidence, he finally made an attempt to log it into a cache moments after it was locked down.

I would have appreciated a heads-up before my Travel Bug was locked, to give me a chance to delete the virtual logs first. I did pay for it, after all.

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

I would have appreciated a heads-up before my Travel Bug was locked, to give me a chance to delete the virtual logs first. I did pay for it, after all.

You are a veteran cacher and forum poster. I wouldn't have thought a heads up was necessary. It is your responsibility to know and abide by the guidelines. Paying for a travel bug doesn't exempt you from using it as intended.

I'm glad your were able to get your travel bug back in operation, though. It shows the system works.

It is your responsibility to know and abide by the guidelines.

Where are those Travel Bug guidelines? Maybe we could all use a quick refresher on those.

Well, there is this link which says:
What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

and
How do Travel Bugs work?

...Travel Bugs are tracked with the help of users who go online and "grab" them from caches, or receive them from users. The idea is by picking up and dropping off Travel Bugs on the web site you are mirroring the Bug's real world adventures.

There's also this pinned forum topicwhich explains travel bugs in great detail. There you can read:

...AND THIS MOST IMPORTANT ONE:

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play.

This isn't something new. It is a topic that has been discussed in this forum several times going back at least to December of last year. That's why I said I wouldn't have thought a heads up was necessary, given your caching and forum experience.