What should I do?

Natureboy56

Sorry about the muggles. It happens. Kids are a curious lot, and I suspect, having found a "treasure" once, they'll be back. If it were mine, I'd move it at least 100' away, if the area will support it. Also, check the travel bug's owner's status. See if they're still active. If so, shoot them an E-mail letting them know their bug has been taken.

Good luck!

My cache, walkn' and wheeln'. Has been discovered by some kids. They have taken mostly everything out of it

including a TB. I rehide it, within 5 feet of theat area, but more cleverly. Is there anything else I can do?

Natureboy56

Ok, that is a good idea. I think i will do that, but I will wait to see about the TB

I hate to be the pessimist, but once kids get ahold of a cache, the area is probably pretty much ruined. The best thing to do is a lot of fieldwork to discover where the kids frequent and place the cache away from there as far as possible.

One of mine got hopelessly muggled (several replacements) shortly after a cacher introduced a local scout group to the sport at my cache. I can't say for sure the scouts had anything to do with it, but i would bet one kid showed another and...

Another of mine has been up for years after a kid muggling. I moved it a few hundred feet and around the corner from the kid's gathering place.

Five feet? Good luck.

Be prepared for a lot of maintenance visits, even if you do find the kids and explain it to them. Kids will be kids and the ones who do understand and respect the game could still divulge the info to some who won't.

Sorry for your loss.

You really should move it as far as possible from "their space". Looking at it from most kid's perspective.. if they have found a toy box that seems to magically get refilled every time they empty it, they will be there waiting for it every time. If the area is too small to move it very far, I would archive it seek a new and larger area.

My first cache was discovered by kids, who raided it periodically, and removed a travel bug. I finally disabled it for several months and then brought it back as an extremely well camo'ed micro in the same location. The location was/is special, and well worth having a cache.

The cache description includes a complete description of the micro hide in the second paragragh for those few who might actually want to hunt the thing as currently camo'ed. I wouldn't. This has worked. sorry to take down a trading cache to a micro - but next winter I may try it as a trading cache again. Those kids will be hanging somewhere else.