Devil Ducky Derby Racers

Team Snorkasaurus

Has anyone actually looked at the TB pages yet? I am still hoping to get some feedback and maybe some creative suggestions for boosting the fun-factor. I am not the best when it comes to html, so these TB pages were pretty advanced for me. Hope I didn't make some embarrassing code faux-pas!

Great job on the pages.

I don't know why, just makes me laugh!
That's happiness.
The Balinese consider laughter to be a sign of madness...

:unsure:

Hmmm...

laughing and crying

You know it's the same release

-Joni Mitchell.

Oh by the way I'm pulling for the Blue Duckie.

Go Blue Go!

Edited by BlueDeuce
Nice idea and great looking pages ; but If I were you I would make each photo of the Ducks the default image so that the photo appears on the TB's page.
Thanks for the response, chstress53!

The Devil Duckies already appear on the TB page, located in the center of the Devil Ducky Derby Racer logo. Each Ducky TB page shows its specific Ducky in the image. I could display the larger Ducky image, but it seems a bit redundant. Is the current Ducky image too small?

...I clicked on the invisible ducky and could see him / her / it. I thought is was invisible?...

...but it IS invisible!!!

Ancient Devil-Ducky prophets tell of a geocaching-hero who will have amazing powers to see the un-seeable, find the un-findable and rescue the geocaching community from the terrors of urban micro-spew. You, 5¢, must surely be that long awaited hero! By irrevocable decree of the Devil-Ducky High Council you shall forever more be known as:

Quack-Seer, Detector Of All That Is Hidden!

[insert generic theme music here]

Your various arch-enemies have formed an evil alliance known as the League Of Loathsome WaterFOUL. They are led by the most notorious villain of all: Muggler the Marauding Mallard. With the aid of your trusty sidekick, Garmin-Goose, and an ammobox full of GPS enabled gadgetry, you are all that stands between the otherwise defenseless geocaching community and these chaos loving evil-doers-of-evil!

A word of caution, you are powerless against the lure of breadcrumbs and you become hopelessly disoriented when surrounded by trees or buildings. Lastly, you must fight a constant inner battle to suppress your dark desire to fly south for the winter.

Now hop into your rocket-powered Green-Jeep-Of-Justice and off, off, off you go to perform amazing geo-feats of valor and daring!

:laughing:

(Yikes! What did I put in my coffee this morning???)

Yes! I have crabs and I have ducks! Better than chiggers and ticks! ...
Amen!

... I made the hole with a nail and used wire to pull the chain thru it.
I was tempted to try punching a hole with a nail, but eventually I decided on melting a hole using an old soldering iron. The fumes were quite nasty(!) so I was sure to do this outside and with a respirator. It worked surprisingly well, but probably no better than the nail would have. I have seen Ducky TBs damaged by having the dog-tag chain secured tightly around the neck, the rubber is often particularly thin there and can eventually rip. I hope that threading the chain through the body will help prevent ducky damage!
...I've been trying out the cable and ferrules. Work pretty sweet.
How do you secure (crimp?) the ferrules? Is there a special tool for that? I have seen some surprisingly thin vinyl coated cable, but have never worked with it before. Sure seems like it would be an improvement over the standard chain!

a topic worth discussing.

I had to work through some trial and error so give me a chance to type it up along with some photos. (My camera stinks on close-ups)

I'm using a 1/16 gauge cable which seems plenty strong to me. About 26 cents per foot and the ferrules are about 54 cents each. I've been looking around for cheaper but I haven't found it. Maybe if I bought it in bulk but who needs 250 of these things to save a few pennies?

To crimp the ferrules you only need a good set of pliers but I recommend using at least a 10 inch lineman pliers (Craftsman of course) so you can apply a lot of force. You'll probably only crimp one side at a time but the lineman pliers are wide enough to get the whole side at once.

When you cut the cable you want it cut 'clean' as possible so you don't have loose threads that make it hard to stick through a small hole, (Plus those threads hurt when they stick you in the finger.). The lineman pliers can do a good cut but I also like having a set of pincers on hand. You may have to undo some work and the pliers may be to big to do some careful cutting.

I like to start by crimping a ferrule on one end of the cable first and then feed several feet of cable through whatever I'm securing. You may only need two inches of cable, but do you want to hold two inches of metal cable in a circle, a set of pliers and crimp a ferrule all at the same time? (No, you don't.) If the end of the cable sticks out a little bit, file it down so it won't cut anyone.

And be careful if you cut just the tip of the cable, it'll fall apart into tiny little wires. You don't want to step on those later.

Okay, so you have the ferrule on one end, stick through the traveler, make sure you add on the tags and stuff before you close the loop. I'll hold the ferrule in the pliers, pull the cable so it's the size circle I want, then an extra millimeter, cut the cable and pull it back inside the ferrule so nothing is sticking out, and crimp.

0b206173-9c99-4358-af64-7c96698f33f8.jpg

9581f8f6-e904-413a-895d-05034b231cd7.jpg

I'm using a 1/16 gauge cable which seems plenty strong to me. About 26 cents per foot and the ferrules are about 54 cents each. I've been looking around for cheaper but I haven't found it. Maybe if I bought it in bulk but who needs 250 of these things to save a few pennies?

To crimp the ferrules you only need a good set of pliers but I recommend using at least a 10 inch lineman pliers (Craftsman of course) so you can apply a lot of force. You'll probably only crimp one side at a time but the lineman pliers are wide enough to get the whole side at once.

When you cut the cable you want it cut 'clean' as possible so you don't have loose threads that make it hard to stick through a small hole, (Plus those threads hurt when they stick you in the finger.). The lineman pliers can do a good cut but I also like having a set of pincers on hand. You may have to undo some work and the pliers may be to big to do some careful cutting.

I like to start by crimping a ferrule on one end of the cable first and then feed several feet of cable through whatever I'm securing. You may only need two inches of cable, but do you want to hold two inches of metal cable in a circle, a set of pliers and crimp a ferrule all at the same time? (No, you don't.) If the end of the cable sticks out a little bit, file it down so it won't cut anyone.

And be careful if you cut just the tip of the cable, it'll fall apart into tiny little wires. You don't want to step on those later.

Okay, so you have the ferrule on one end, stick through the traveler, make sure you add on the tags and stuff before you close the loop. I'll hold the ferrule in the pliers, pull the cable so it's the size circle I want, then an extra millimeter, cut the cable and pull it back inside the ferrule so nothing is sticking out, and crimp.

0b206173-9c99-4358-af64-7c96698f33f8.jpg

9581f8f6-e904-413a-895d-05034b231cd7.jpg

Do you make housecalls? :(:(

Edited by 5¢
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute! We haven't heard of any of this til now! How can we get in on this? We actually put little devil duckies in the caches we find. :unsure:
Hiya!

Sorry 'bout the slow reply, I am still digesting Thanksgiving.

(Mmmmm, turkey good!)

The Devil Ducky Derby Racers are just starting out and all are still in Southern California. With 18 TBs competing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that one or more eventually make it out your way! Just "watch" the duckies too see if any get within geo-striking range... It would be TOTALLY FUN for any ducky to meet the Devil Duck Duo!

:blink:

Just to let everyone know, the invisible duck is not smiling anymore. :(
Greetings to Quack-Seer, Detector Of All That Is Hidden!

Why has the Invisible Devil Ducky lost its smile? Have the League of Loathsome WaterFOUL unleashed some new dastardly geo-terror upon the world???

:mad:

I would love to answer this question but there is only one small problem. I can see the invisible duck but unfortunately I can not hear the invisible duck. He is quacking away and I can't hear a stinking thing he is sayin. :(