My Magellan Explorist XL only has a blue screen

reverse

:huh: I had my Magellan Explorist XL in a pouch on my side while was jogging up a trail. It did get bumped around a bit. I didn't have it on during that time. When I went to turned it on to do some caching on top the mountain, it seemed not to be able to boot up. It just shows a blue screen. Has anyone else had this problem. I have emailed Magellan(Thames) but I don't think they're open until Tuesday (because of the long weekend). Any help would be appreciated.

My recommendation if you haven't already done so is to remove the batteries, make sure they're fresh, or use fresh batteries, put them back in, then try to turn it on.

I use 2500 mAh NiMH recharhargeables. I just replaced them with another set. It did the same thing. The only way I can turn it off is to remove the batteries.

I have a Garmin so I don't know that model exactly however if new batteries don't work perhaps you could try re-flashing the system firmware? After that I'd say send it in for service.

I'm not sure what re-flashing is, but it won't communicate with my computer. I purchased this about six months ago, so I think it's still under warranty.

I have a Garmin so I don't know that model exactly however if new batteries don't work perhaps you could try re-flashing the system firmware? After that I'd say send it in for service.

I'm not sure what re-flashing is, but it won't communicate with my computer. I purchased this about six months ago, so I think it's still under warranty.

re-flashing means reinstalling the actual unit software off magellan website. Its the firmware, but I guess if it doesn't communicate with PC you can't do it. Check the warrenty :huh:

This sounds like a long shot, but from the power off state simultaneously push GOTO + OUT + POWER. If you are able to get any response, it will clear memory and set all settings as default. If this combination gets no better response than what you've seen so far, I don't think you can do anything else beyond sending it in for repair (warranty does cover 1 year).

Edit: I've submitted your nomination for this year's Pioneer Award...first to report the Blue Screen of Death on an Explorist (that I can recall, anyway).

Edited by embra

This sounds like a long shot, but from the power off state simultaneously push GOTO + OUT + POWER.

:unsure: WOO HOO! It worked. At least I think that's what did it. I hadn't messed with it since last night. I thought "I'll try anything now". It came right up where I left off. It didn't even go back to the default. Thank you so much embra.

Had the same prob:

my XL has fall down about 1 Meter on the floor.

After that it only showed the blue screen at starting up and NOTHIGN ELSE: heart attack !!!!

I mailed to Magellan-Support and made me ready to get the answer "please send it to our address 5000 miles away and PERHAPS we could repair your unit for a few hundred dollars" or anything like that.

THAN - when I was without any hope - I found this threat!

I changed the batteries and started my unit by pressing "GOTO + MENU + OUT + POWER" and:

TATTAAAAA

EXPLORIST started !!!!

now I will go outside for singing in the rain !

Thanks a loooot !

I love the combination "Internet"+"Community"

DC

Another method would be trying the GPS without the SD memory card, and see if it boots up.

Also giving the GPS, the 3-finger solute with the SD card removed.

I have the eXplorist XL, and I have not run into any problems yet that required the 3-finger solute, but I have done the Clear-ALL memory function.

It is several months later now and has happened again. I had it in my pocket and jumped a fence and of course I'm miles away from a computer and can't remember how to reset it. These Magellans sure aren't very durable. I emailed Magellan a couple of times during my warranty period with no responses back.

I won't be buying another one. In fact, I've already got my eye on the Garmin GPSmap60CSx. I just need to talk my better half into it

For those occasionally critical snippets of information that I need once in a blue moon, I jot them down on a sticky label that I attach to the inside of the battery cover.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I need to do something like that. I seem to have more brain farts than I used to. :ph34r:

just as a thought, my explorist booted up blue 1 time and it was a screen of the map that was in the middle of the atlantic ocean, somewhere of the coast of africa. i eventually zoomed in far enough to aquire north america. i'm wondering do you have the unit on while jogging? and maybe the zoom out button is getting pressed repeatedly?

like previously stated just a thought or maybe the batteryies are getting bumped off the contacts

Edited by dagger dog

just as a thought, my explorist booted up blue 1 time and it was a screen of the map that was in the middle of the atlantic ocean, somewhere of the coast of africa. i eventually zoomed in far enough to aquire north america.

That's funny. :ph34r:

No, not the case here though. It just gives up and doesn't do a thingg when you push any of the buttons. I've kind of learned to live with it because I don't lose all my data when I do get it to come back up.