Notification of the “?” please.

LZ33

Would Groundspeak implement a notification that trackable owners can receive if a cache owner marks our trackable missing? I just happen to go threw my inventory and spot the “?” and then I start with the research. Thanks, LZ33

Edited by LZ33

This suggestion, which has been made before, would stand a better chance of getting Groundspeak's attention over in the GC.com forum where the site developers read more closely.

Remember that site admins and volunteers also have the power to remove travel bugs that have been verified as not being in the cache. They respond regularly when alerted to do so -- often because either or both of the cache owner and bug owner are MIA or do not know how to mark a bug as missing.

I support your feature request. It should be an automated notice.

Personally, I generally try to send an email to the bug owner if I am at a cache and find that the listed bug isn't there. I've gotten several good responses from this and the bugs are generally then listed as missing. I do this because I think it is the polite GC thing to do and would hope that someone would do it for me (if it ever happens). The second reason is that it is sad to find a cache with a TB listed and not find the bug in the cache - if the owners know, the cache listing icons are more reliable... a bit of a virtual CITO if you will.

If I mark a trackable missing, I put a note on the page saying so, and how to get it back in action, if found. The owner would then get the email notification. If someone makes a note on a trackable page that it's not in such and such a cache, then the trackable owner gets that email, and should check on their item. If the note that the trackable is missing is put on the cache page, you would not get the email, unless you owned the cache. I am moving this to the gc.com forums, where it would do more good, as The Leprechauns stated.

I would tell most people to keep an eye on their inventory, but for you that could take all day! You sure have a lot of trackables. :anitongue: