"One from column A, one from column B..."

Slainte

I'm in the enviable position of needing to purchase about a dozen new GPSs for use at a school. My idea is to purchase three different models of increasing complexity, to allow our junior and senior high students who may be leery of things-that- go-beep-in-the-night to enjoy some simple geocaching, while the geekier kids can move on up the electronic food chain. I'm looking at three Garmin models: the yellow eTrex for beginners, the Legend cx for the wannabes, and the 60csx for the alpha-nerds. I have a Legend cx that I've been using for four or five months, and I've noticed none of the sadnesses mentioned in the "Legend cx ... accuracy" thread on this forum, but I'm not locked into these models - yet. Can anyone give good reason to consider others? I'm spending California's money, here, so I want to do the job right! Thanks for any suggestions.

Actually more complex units will probably get ignored most of the time (except by the "nerd" Joey)....

Units for schools and clubs and scout groups probably should be all the same type and model. Just as much for the instructor as for users... Most people really aren't going to go real deep into the technology (except for the "nerd" Joey) and only want to play with unit and see what it can do....

Remember in most cases the instructor or person in charge is going to have to be proficient in all three units to help out the people trying to operate the GPS unit (except the "nerd" Joey).. Also in erasing and entering cache and other information its easier to setup one configuration in a PC and up/down load all data in one format and configuration (EasyGPS or GSAK or whatever software) than have multiple configurations for many different units......

Are you teaching GPS use and/or how to deal with the "physical" technology. I believe the thrust of your statement is to not be "leery of things that go beep" and "simple geocaching" should be the criteria for selection all one type of unit (except for the "nerd" Joey).

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I think I'll go with the old Legend. The cable is a selling point, as is the base map. The lack of map context on the yellow etrex bothered me, but its simplicity appealed to me. The Legend will be a good compromise. Again, thanks for your collective insight.