Garmin help needed

FujiFool

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. For several months I have successfully downloaded cache waypoints from the geocaching website using EasyGPS, both from my desktop and laptop computers. Tonight nothing is working. I can download the waypoints into My Documents, I can open them in EasyGPS and edit them, but they will not send to my Garmin. I have tried every combination of UBS ports possible (that has proved to be a problem in the past with my laptop).

Any ideas? :o

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. For several months I have successfully downloaded cache waypoints from the geocaching website using EasyGPS, both from my desktop and laptop computers. Tonight nothing is working. I can download the waypoints into My Documents, I can open them in EasyGPS and edit them, but they will not send to my Garmin. I have tried every combination of UBS ports possible (that has proved to be a problem in the past with my laptop).

Any ideas? :o

Update drivers.

Updating unit and USB drivers did nothing. Anyone have any other ideas?

Test the USB port with another USB device (like a flash drive). Its good to narrow down the problem to your Garmin or your computer. Good Luck!

OOPs - did not read your original post carefully - you have apparently tested on both you computers. Still test with the USB device especially if it will plug directly into the USB port - it could be a cable problem.

Edited by tacitus59

Thank you all for your time and attempts at helping me. I solved the problem and in doing so may have proven myself to be the dumbest cacher in history. I spent hours over a two day period trying to sove the riddle of why my GPS would not accept downloaded coordinates from either of my computers. Here is what happened (do not try this at home!):

I live in Japan and routinely use my Garmin for geocaching here. We're going on vacation to St. Louis next week so I've been busy researching caches, printing out their webpages, and last night attempting to download the coordinates. They downloaded effortlessly to my pc but after what should have been a quick download to my GPS unit I checked and there was nothing there but the caches I already had in there from Japan. I tried again, same result. I moved to my laptop, same result. I tried every combination I could think of. Expletives were flying. I posted this thread asking for help. I sent an email to the guy that introduced me to geocaching and offered to sell him a like-new GPS unit cheaply.

The smarter ones of you may have already caught my error...

This morning I tried again, same results. I updated drivers, I updated the unit software. The air was electric with invectives. If I had a dog he would have been under the bed. My wife wanted to cancel our caching trip planned for this morning but I was too frustrated to just stay at home. So we hopped on the train and did manage to locate a chache. Upon our return I sat down and began manually entering the coordinates for our vacation in St. Louis. Same result!

Surely you all know by now what the problem was but I was still too stupid,

Too weak to curse any longer I began to suspect that something was wrong with my micro SD card or the internal memory of the Garmin. One last time I tried to enter coordinates for a cache but this time I got an error message saying it already existed. Huh??? I checked the cache listing: nothing! I tried to enter it again and got the same error message: it already existed! What the f...??? I went to the find menu and searched by name...they were all there! This dim bulb finally lit up. When I looked for the coordinates I had been entering the unit was defaulting to "nearest" caches from my home coordinates. Since the ones I was entering for St. Louis were 6400 miles away they didn't show up. As so often happens, the simplest answer was the correct one.

I made one last mistake that I have to confess to. I told my wife about my stupidity. She rolled her eyes and said that's why she never touches the unit, I would have included her in my histrionics. I should have just told her I reasoned out and solved the the highly technical problem and let her marvel at her luck in marrying such a brilliant man instead of shaking her head at what a cement head she is chained to.

One last thing. I sincerely apologize to all the employees of Garmin, Hewlet Packard computers, Sony computers, the writers of EasyGPS and GPS Swiss Army Knife, as well as their ancestors, their children, and their descendants for the next several generations for the "unkind" things I may have said during my lunacy.

Maybe I should just collect stamps.

One last thing. I sincerely apologize to all the employees of Garmin, Hewlet Packard computers, Sony computers, the writers of EasyGPS and GPS Swiss Army Knife, as well as their ancestors, their children, and their descendants for the next several generations for the "unkind" things I may have said during my lunacy.

Well at least you had the decency to not say anything about their mothers. That would have been over the line :laughing:

Glad you figured it out. We've all been there at one moment or another.

I live in Japan and routinely use my Garmin for geocaching here. We're going on vacation to St. Louis next week so I've been busy researching caches, printing out their webpages, and last night attempting to download the coordinates.

Glad you realized the problem. I hope you enjoy your stay in St. Louis and our caches. We have enough to keep you busy for a while.

RGS - St. Louis