Your Opinion

I have an idea for a puzzle/multi cache and wanted some opinions. As for the multi part each cache will have a cog (like a uniquely shaped metal washer) with coordinates to another cache on one side and misc. numbers on the other. The final cache will have a metal plate with posts sticking out that each cog fits into and the misc. numbers will show the final coordinates (providing you put them in the coorect order) If they are put on the plate in the wrong order you wont get the right waypoints. I also thought of making the cog and post color coordinated as to not make it to hard.

A good idea?

Neat idea!

Maybe you could simplify your work by drilling a specific sized hole (that wooden dowels are the size of) in each disk then when they get to the final cache they would slip each disk onto an appropriate sized dowel sticking out of a block of wood. Let the figure out what to do. Don't tell them anything other than they need to take a disk with them.

The idea is very innovative. I found a cache that required fitting "pieces parts" together to disclose the final coordinates. It drove me nuts, and required two trips. I loved it!

The downside is cache maintenance. I gather that you would have a large supply of cogs in each of the stages, so that each finder can take one? Would they then deposit the cogs in the final cache? I've seen caches like that too, and they often are a nightmare for the cache owner. You'll need to make frequent trips to replace the cogs into the correct stages. Worse, some folks simply keep the items in their pocket instead of depositing them in the final cache. Others don't log their finds online, or only find the first stage and then quit for the day, so suddenly you get a DNF log saying "there are no cogs left in stage one!" when you thought there were still a half dozen, based on cache page logs. This has been a problem for me with one of my multicaches, which has instruction worksheets in the first stage. Finally, most definitely, do NOT count on geocachers to retrace their steps and replace the cogs in the correct stages after they're done finding the cache. Just ain't gonna happen.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Sounds like a fun cache, but Lep is right. It could definitely be a nightmare for you to maintain.

I had a two-stage multi. The cache page coordinates brought cachers to the first stage where I'd hidden a stone with coordinates stamped on the bottom. All cachers had to do was find the stone (and I indicated in the encrypted hint where it should be found and replaced), punch those coordinates into their GPS, and then replace the stone where they found it and walk on to stage 2.

Long story short, the stone went "missing" 6-7 times and I gave up on replacing it, just too much trouble. I had tried to keep it alive by placing as many as 4 stones there at the same time, all with the same coordinates, but somehow they all "disappeared." Finally I had to change the cache into a traditional one-stage.

It is a shame that some people can't be more respectful and end up ruining a neat hunt for everyone else, but it does happen.

You might try it out for a while and see how it goes, but be ready for a few problems to spring up.

Good luck!

I had a similar series; 4 regulars which led to a puzzle. I sat at home one week and built a bunch of 10 piece jigsaw puzzles. (I think I had 16 when I was done) I divided each puzzle into 4 ziplock baggies, then put one baggie from each puzzle into each of the first four stages. Each puzzle had its own Gaelic rune associated with it, written on the puzzle pieces and on the ziplocks. Start at the first cache, take a baggie containing 2 or 3 jigsaw pieces. Make a note of which rune you had, then take the corresponding baggie from the remaining 3 caches. Dump out the pieces and assemble. The assembled jigsaw puzzle is a pigpen cypher which the players would decrypt for the location of the final cache.

At the final, there were two cans. A giant ammo can to put your jigsaw pieces into, (so I could put them back into play), and a regular ammo can full of swag. So long as everybody did the series in order, (as spelled out repeatedly on the cache pages), there were no problems. The problems arose when a player went out of order. They'd take a baggie from, say, the 3rd cache. We'll call this baggie the "Isis" rune. then you start the series properly, also nabbing the "Isis" baggies in the 1st two caches. You got to the 3rd cache and "Isis" was gone. Since the jigsaws were handmade, you couldn't simply nab a different rune set and solve the puzzle.

Lots of nightmares.

I made this a Premium Members only cache simply to reduce the amount of traffic to the series, which in turn reduced the number of times I had to fix someone else's mistake. I finally gave up on the jigsaw aspect, and instead introduced a shattered tombstone into the story line. At each of the first 4 stages, the player finds a section of the shattered tomb of Angus Riffster. The player is instructed to bring pencil and paper with them, and make a rubbing of each piece. These rubbings, when assembled, give the same pigpen cypher as found on the aforementioned jigsaw pieces.

I'll just have to wait and see if it works.

The series, for those who might be curious;

Great Scot! (A Riffster`s Tale) (CR-1)

Clan Riffster's Riverside Retreat (CR-2)

The Search for Haggis (CR-3)

The Tearing of the Tartan (CR-4)

The Last Stand of Clan Riffster (CR-5)

(and a bonus)

Pickerel Wars (CR-6?)

A good idea?

While it is innovative, as mentioned, it would be a nightmare. Too many folks would simply not return the cogs to the proper initial stages.

If you were to keep all of the pieces in one stage it would help. You could create a puzzle where the cogs had to be places in a certain order with a pointer on each pointing to a certain number, maybe that stages coords. Then they would turn one cog to a different position and the way the rest turn would reveal the next set of coords.

As mentioned, one way of reducing maintenance issues is to reduce the number of folks visiting. Instead of making a cache MOC, you could simply make some sort of puzzle on the cache page that must be solved before they can find the first stage. This would greatly reduce the number of folks hunting it.

One cache here locally uses a similar idea, although not with cogs. There's a large ammo can containing a smaller ammo can and a log book. You need to locate that can first, then "sign out" the smaller ammo can in the log book. Since you must carry the smaller can with you as you proceed through the cache, anyone who comes by while you're out doing the cache can read in the log book what time you started so they'll know how about long they'll need to wait for you to finish. The cache is a multi and you need the contents of the smaller can to find each of the various stages. It's set up so that you circle around back to where you started from, so you can put the smaller can back where it belongs. It's an extremely innovative and well-liked cache.