Cache Trade Etquette

gunpowder

We have a question on proper etquette in starting a new cache.

We have seen some caches that show a list of nice stuff when it was first placed, but when you get there it seems to be not quite so nice.

Is it ok to write somewhere in the cache to do equal trade or to trade up, just as a reminder? Especially to newbies who may not be aware of how to do proper trades.

gunpowder

The reminder shouldn't be needed, but unfortunately, many caches get degraded that way. I don't see anything wrong with inserting it into the cache page, but don't expect that to keep your cache from degrading. It's just human nature with some folks. They like to get a "bargain".

The reminder shouldn't be needed, but unfortunately, many caches get degraded that way. I don't see anything wrong with inserting it into the cache page, but don't expect that to keep your cache from degrading. It's just human nature with some folks. They like to get a "bargain".

Actually, you want to trade even, or trade down.

"Trading up" means you leave the deal better off than when you started. That's not what we're striving for.

I list the stuff. It sets a good example.

I'm new (less than 10 under my belt) but it's always been common sense to leave it better or as good as you found it. I taught my kids to fair trade and their trades always have to be approved by me. If you enjoy caching, and you want people to keep planting caches, then you won't take advantage of their kindness.

But I suppose a lot of people lack common sense and courtesy. Let me take a moment to thank all of you out there who plant caches. My family gets a kick out of this new hobby, and you can bet I'll be planting a cache soon.

Actually, you want to trade even, or trade down.

"Trading up" means you leave the deal better off than when you started. That's not what we're striving for.

yeah but remember that paperclip to a house story? If the cache is named Trade Up Only and people do, how long would it take for someone to get a BMW, for instance? :)

If I can add something here I have only a couple of caches so far but I let my 6 and 3 year old do all the trading Does not even matter to me what goes in or comes out The biggest prize for me are the smiles on their faces when searching through the cache. When we go out tomorrow I will ask the boys to go and find something to trade and whatever they grab well it just does not matter to me :)

I'm definately a big fan of trading up, and plan on doing it as often as possible. So far I've exchanged a poetry book for a drill bit , and a small gemstone for a coffee shop sales receipt. Heck, a couple of times I've just left an item behind without taking because a cache needed one.

I can understand not having anything cool to leave behind, and that getting stuff isn't the point of this hobby, but come on, if all you're gonna leave behind an old bus tranfer, why even bother?

Edited by pandaphil

I generally don't take things from caches, period, unless it's very unique or is someone's signature item. Everything else, if I really wanted it, I could buy it myself at the dollar store.

I do keep a baggie of swag and I try to fill up caches with items from it whenever I can. It will not be uncommon for me to take nothing from a cache, but leave behind, say, my signature bouncy eyeball, a CD, a pen, a highlighter, a small stuffed bear, and a mini-flashlight.

I recently cleaned out one of my own caches and stuffed in a bunch of new content including a package of 8 AA batteries, a flashlight, and a number of different pens.

My swag bag comes from emptying out my junk drawers, anyway (typical garage sale type stuff), so the more I can get rid of it, the better for me :wub:

I've moved a couple things from one cache to another. I didn't think you were actually supposed to keep it.

I figured I would take something and move it, and leave something of my own.

I've just started out, but I just put things that are nice, have a meaning to me, and are kinda neat in one way or another.

I've moved a couple things from one cache to another. I didn't think you were actually supposed to keep it.

Well, once you've taken it, you're free to do whatever you want with it. If everyone simply transported things round and round, the swag would get boring pretty quickly..

I will sometimes do just that. I took a teddy bear out of one cache (cute!) and put him in another. Occasionally, I will find neat things which I actually want to keep. I think that's happened 3-4 times out of the 147 caches I've found to date. Let's see, what were they? I got a bullet from one, a guitar pick, a key clasp, and a small fossil (stromatolite).