Coin Basics

Mark Twain Impersonator

Well, the title says it all. But in case it doesn't...I have some questions about coins, tracking, and other such basics.

Firstly: What coins are trackable?

I am interested in getting a coin to track my caching. I would keep it on my person and place and retrieve it from a cache to track my miles. I want to know what kind of coin will allow me to do this.

Second: Where can I get these coins?

Obviosly, I need to buy one to track my miles. Where?

Third: How much does the average coin cost?

Am I better off geting a traval bug for this?

Well, the title says it all. But in case it doesn't...I have some questions about coins, tracking, and other such basics.

Firstly: What coins are trackable?

I am interested in getting a coin to track my caching. I would keep it on my person and place and retrieve it from a cache to track my miles. I want to know what kind of coin will allow me to do this.

Second: Where can I get these coins?

Obviosly, I need to buy one to track my miles. Where?

Third: How much does the average coin cost?

Am I better off geting a traval bug for this?

The world traveler would be a nice one I would think to track miles. as with anything else in the world you might be able to find this trackable coin on ebay.

There is nothing wrong with the Wolrld Traveler, for a long time I used a standard USA Geocoin, a nice clean design. There are thousands out there of different vintages. With hundreds of designs to choose from, it would be hard to pick just one coin. The USA coin is probably the cheapest you will find. I think they are still 4.99 plus freight. Feel free to ask though, if you want to make sure the coin you buy is trackable. Glen

The Big Ugly X 2 is a USA coin that I used to log about everywhere. When the log count got high and the site was slow to respond, I quit logging it in and out. Besides, I sold the other half of the Big Ugly.... ;)

Most question answers can be found here: http://members.cox.net/teamai/index.shtml on Team Jake AI's page.

The site also provides links of places to buy coins that are not yet sold out. Average cost is $7-$10 for a coin, with the exception of the USA geocoins, which are priced under $5 I believe.

Actually... it's "Jake - Team A.I."

I've been working on a FAQ page for a while now. I have activated the link on my reference page, but this particular question hasn't been addressed yet. I guess it's another one for me to add to the list. I've been working on another revamp of the page to break the categories down better. When I first started, 10-12 questions didn't seem that bad, but it's getting close to 30 now so it needs to be seperated into categories now.

My hope is that people find the pages very useful. While I can't answer every question, perhaps reading through what I've published on the pages will let you come to your own conclusions on your question.

You can find links to my pages in my sig below.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.