Waymarking Mail Discussion

I am using 'Netscape' for all my "work" - setting up "Categories-Waymarks-Forum. (searches with Firefox)

Lately the "Mail" has been arriving in 'bunches' and "Notices" like confirmation or rejections have been days late. :(

eg. -some Waymarking log ins- haven't worked for 3 days before the validation code finally arrived. (Why wasn't there a notice sent out first?)

Could this be "Netscape" mail delay or "Groundspeak"?

Date:

7/31/2006 7:08:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time

"Geocaching.com" <noreply@geocaching.com>

Just one more step in order to validate your account. Visit the following Web page:(snipped)

(Validation code arrived yesterday)

There has been much discussion about this in the Web Site Forum. AOL and Yahoo! have been either marking the mail as SPAM and not delivering it at all . . . or they have been "throttling" the mail. Isn't Netscape affliated with AOL?

Many people have gotten Gmail accounts to get around this problem . . . and several others have decided to dump AOL altogether.

If you need a Gmail invite, I have some. :sad:

yes, both WM.com AND GC.com mail has been really messed up....i have noticed things on the site WAY before the mail arrives (all aspects of WM.com and TB movements on GC.com).

glad it wasnt just me.....i hope it gets sorted out soon....(it is hard to work on a mark when you dont know whay it was declined. could this not be added to the details page somehow?)

i know nothing of 'gmail' other than seeing others addresses there....

It's not getting any better :laughing:

Not receiving weekly G.C. notice/waymark confirmation or approvals etc. (only a couple and they were 3 days late.)

Tried sending test messages from different accounts Netscape/Hotmail/IncrediMail and they all arrived pronto....within seconds or a few minutes and "WM". direct mail did confirm my e-mail address being valid.

Troubles seem to start about the same time as Groundspeak instituted the e-mail confirmation code requirement. :laughing:

ChapterhouseInc Posted Today, 12:43 PM

conformation code? what is that

Body of e-mail received on 2nd of Aug which was posted on the 31st of July

Subject:

Validation Instructions

Date:

7/31/2006 7:08:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Click here to send a message."Geocaching.com" <noreply@geocaching.com>

To:

Click here to send a message.<jake39xxxxxxxxxxx.net>

« Previous | Next »

View all headers

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

Greetings from Geocaching.com

Just one more step in order to validate your account. Visit the following Web page:

http://www.geocaching.com etc etc.

You'll need to enter in your username and validation code:

Username: Jake39

Validation Code: -deleted-

Or click on the link below:

http://www.geocaching.com/v/?u=Jake39&c=XXXXXXXdeleted

This validation code was received 3-5 days after I couldn't log into "Waymarking Profiles on most Waymarkers detail page" as my "Account wasn't validated!

Anyone else get this type of e-mail???? :)

Well --well-- it never rains but pours, someone opened the tap :D

To-night I received 38 e-mails, all the ones from the last week and a half that should have been sent earlier. ;)

Hope for the best :D

Edited by Jake39

Netscape is AOL is WMConnect is AIM etc.

They all suffer from the throttling problem AOL caused a couple weeks ago (still :huh:). The backlog was almost reduced, but last thursday the weekly cache notification rocketed it back into orbit. They go out only slightly faster than they pile up. Sort of like an iceburg moves forward 5 feet and back 3, eventually it'll even out.

I have an AOL account. Either AOL or Groundspeak (Waymarking/Geocaching) has a definite problem! I have not been receiving timely approval, rejection, etc. e-mails for several weeks now. A few e-mails have dribbled in but very late in arriving. I have found a way to circumvent the problem but it would be so much easier just to receive all my e-mails promptly.

I have an AOL account. Either AOL or Groundspeak (Waymarking/Geocaching) has a definite problem! I have not been receiving timely [emails...]

As has been talked about in many threads, it's AOL with the problem. Members using other email services are receiving their emails promptly. Groundspeak is doing everything they can, but AOL is resisting.

I doubt it's AOL alone as my other "Netscape" account works fine.

38 e-mails on the 7th---25 on the 8th and only one submission notification to-day (should have been 3 + 3 + 1, for my yesterdays 'Waymark' submissions, as they have already been approved by 'TheBlue Quasar'

Could it be the bulk and or quantity of mailings from "Groundspeak" to AOL/AIM ??? :laughing:

BTW: Some e-mails are dated back as much as 10 days. :laughing: ..and what was the "Validation Code" all about ???'

I doubt it's AOL alone as my other "Netscape" account works fine.

38 e-mails on the 7th---25 on the 8th and only one submission notification to-day (should have been 3 + 3 + 1, for my yesterdays 'Waymark' submissions, as they have already been approved by 'TheBlue Quasar'

Could it be the bulk and or quantity of mailings from "Groundspeak" to AOL/AIM ??? :laughing:

BTW: Some e-mails are dated back as much as 10 days. :laughing: ..and what was the "Validation Code" all about ???'

Yes it has to do with the amount mail that comes from one source that is throttled. I believe the "Validation Code" gets implemented when Groundspeak gets a certain number of consecutive bouncebacks. They send a message that requires action to verify that your email account listed is still active. This type of email is common on mailing lists.

Get a gmail account and get your mail :laughing:

I am still not getting confirmation, approval, rejection, etc. e-mails. One or two dribble in occasionally. It concerns me if someone wants a response to a question on one of my geocaches (i.e. "Should I be trespassing?") or if, gasp, there is a rejection of a waymark I would not know why. Otherwise, I have found a way around the on-going problem. However, it would be great to get all of my e-mails in a timely manner.

Since some of you waymarkers :o apparently don't read the other forums, let me point you to this post by Elias, one of the Groundspeak lackeys. Despite your opinion, AOL is throttling emails from geocaching.com, hence the delays you are seeing.

Here is a more recent post describing the increased backlog caused by the weekly new cache mailer.

If anyone wants a Gmail invite, send me an email with your current email address :D

Edit: Here is a very recent post from Jeremy.

Edited by Lil Devil
Lil Devil

post Today, 04:17 PM

Post #17

Since some of you waymarkers smile.gif apparently don't read the other forums, let me point you to this post by Elias, one of the Groundspeak lackeys. snipped

You are absolutely right!!! I don't read other "Forums" not in my interest. I don't use "Pocket Queeries" so why should I look there for "AOL" problems.

Anyway....I did glance through the links you posted and was astonished to find all the problems and posts.

Therefore this link is t_closed.gif as of to-night. :o

Edited by Jake39

i have not recieved any Groundspeak emails in a few days. send PM to 'lil devil' about the gmail thing.

edit #1: so i just called that '888' #, and after getting a PERSON on the line, i got transferred to tech support. and was immediately told to call back during normal buisness hours (it is 11 am EST, how much more 'during buisness hours' can you get?).

the person i was speaking with had no idea what Groundspeak or geocaching was, but he 'knew of the terms'......

i will try again.....

edit #2: well, at this moment it seems that i have gotten through, and the DIRECT # for tech support is: 888-346-3704

edit #3: is an essence, AOL thinks that Groundspeak (GC.com & WM.com) is spyware and/or spam--as indicated in the previous postings. after going through my settings (they were all set to the right specifications), the man said that he is sending it to the webmail technicians, so that they might fix the problem. i highly doubt that this will correct the problem.

i would venture to suggest that someone in the tech area at Groundspeak set up an aol account (you can get one for free) and to some tests [caching, travel bugs, and Waymarking].....and then they call AOL and tell them more technically what the issue is.....

at any rate, i will continue working as a blind person would......

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

:unsure:<_<:D:D

---and all that.

Only personal mail is getting through AOL/AIM into my box ! "NOT A SINGLE ONE" from "Groundspeak"

Switched my account to "G" mail last night (finally) and already the "new" mail came in from overnight.

---Still missing dozens of other notifications from the past week. :D

i tried to close my 'AWOL' thread days ago, but couldnt find that 'close button'.....im not the only one 'there' either.......

and just to add, i HAVE been getting mails for the stuff i have been doing TODAY, TODAY.

and i could NOT get into gmail, though i was sent an invitation.....i will keep that 'rant' to myself for now.

and i will oblige (spelling?) by not posting here any more.....

sorry jake......

chapterhouse

---> either I am blind or ? ..can't find the "Close Topic" button

You can't find the close topic option because it's not there anymore.

yes, in the transfer from the GC.com forums, to 'our own' that button has not made the transfer. mtn-man closed my awol thread. maybe he will see this one as well.

sucks that we lost that functionality.

have a happy day.....

chapterhouse

Thanx for the info on the missing button !!!

....and for your information I received 20 e-mails in the first batch last night and then another 13 later on.

This morning there were 29 more e-mails in my box from Netscape AOL/AIM. (old ones of course)

I did switch to Google "GMAIL" 2 days ago for "Waymarking & Geocaching" and don't like it :unsure: too cluttered :anicute:

Give me back my simple "Netscape Mail" - on time - please