Doh!

I almost added a reply at stupid o'clock this morning but I didn't, but HH has said in a nicer way what I was going to say last night. B)

I don't know what time the forums went down yesterday, but I checked in at almost 2.45 am this morning, and they were back up and running then, when most of the UK would have been sleeping, and only a handful of us were about.

The maintainance seemed to take an awful long time yesterday, I understand if there are problems they have to be fixed and that it all takes time, but does it ever go down during the USA "peak time" as HH said it was down all day for us and during the night for the Americans, and if it came back up at 2.45 am that would be about 6.45pm for them just in time for their "peak time" that was lucky for them :laughing::laughing:

Do you think this forum might be just a tad biased towards the Americans :unsure::blink:

M :ph34r:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

.......but it is frequently down at this time of day. For me this is getting frustrating, as this is my most active time on GC.com

:ph34r: get in the office, boot the PC, get a coffee, log on to GC.com

......... as HH said it was down all day for us and during the night for the Americans, and if it came back up at 2.45 am that would be about 6.45pm for them just in time for their "peak time" that was lucky for them B):laughing:

Do you think this forum might be just a tad biased towards the Americans :laughing::unsure:

M ;)

Well even certain events in the Middle East wars have been timed to co-incide with peek viewing in the states so it should hardly come as a surprise. But getting through a boring day in the office without certain diversionary activities is a real downer :blink:

.......but it is frequently down at this time of day. For me this is getting frustrating, as this is my most active time on GC.com

B) get in the office, boot the PC, get a coffee, log on to GC.com

Not quite, I work shifts and when I am off and on lates I log on in the morning.

Sometimes the site being down has stopped me from going out and bagging a new cache, as when the site has been back up, it is too late for me to go out and get back in time to get ready for work.

HH the Listing Database maintenance is done at a time of least load on it. Which is the early hours US time, unfortunately this is at a time when we become active here in the UK, but as the Database has the least load on it makes the logical time to perform the maintenance.

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Although it does look like the American's are looking after themselves, I would strongly suspect there are vastly many more cachers in the USA than maybe even the rest of the world put together so it makes a lot of sense to do it when the least number of people are affected.

One of the many reasons I have all of the UK caches in GSAK and on my Palm B)

HH the Listing Database maintenance is done at a time of least load on it. Which is the early hours US time, unfortunately this is at a time when we become active here in the UK, but as the Database has the least load on it makes the logical time to perform the maintenance.

I would agree, Geotrotters said almost the same thing and I have answered it here

Yep - but how often does that happen just as the site goes down.

If the site is down, the reviewers cannot access the site either so cannot approve caches in the review queue so this scenario is unlikely. Obviously if the cache was approved a few hours ago when the site was still up and you get up in the morning and see the new cache notification there's a problem though B)

That is no good when you get an insta notify saying you have a cache on your doorstep and want to go out and get it before you start work.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Obviously if the cache was approved a few hours ago when the site was still up and you get up in the morning and see the new cache notification there's a problem though B)

That is what happened to me just last week. I had to wait an hour before I could go out. Understandable if it was a one off as far as the site being down in the morning, but it happens 2 & 3 times a week. Just because we are in a different country shouldn't mean we should have a lower standard of service.

This at the moment is the only niggle I have with Groundspeak, they do give a good service for what we pay.

That is what happened to me just last week. I had to wait an hour before I could go out. Understandable if it was a one off as far as the site being down in the morning, but it happens 2 & 3 times a week. Just because we are in a different country shouldn't mean we should have a lower standard of service.

Well, database admin has to be done at some time (unless Groundspeak are willing to pay for redundant servers).

If this does happen again, give G:UK a try... I've just put in a change so that it will failover to a "quick and nasty" cache page, should Geocaching.com be unavailable for any reason. Of course, you take pot luck as to whether that brand new cache on your doorstep has made it into the G:UK database yet!

HH the Listing Database maintenance is done at a time of least load on it. Which is the early hours USA time, unfortunately this is at a time when we become active here in the UK, but as the Database has the least load on it makes the logical time to perform the maintenance.

So is the answer to get more UK cachers to use the site and up the load and get Groundspeak to shift the down time?

Or do the numbers of continental USA (or maybe North America since Canada shares the same time zones) dwarf everywhere else that it doesn't matter, maintance will still happen in low use times for NA?

If this does happen again, give G:UK a try... I've just put in a change so that it will failover to a "quick and nasty" cache page, should Geocaching.com be unavailable for any reason. Of course, you take pot luck as to whether that brand new cache on your doorstep has made it into the G:UK database yet!

That was how I managed to get around it, luckily had got onto your database.

Jeremy has answered on the other thread that it will always happen at the same time on a Wednesday morning. Which is fair enough I suppose, at least we all know that trying to get onto the site first thing on a Wednesday is going to be a no no. :laughing:

Jeremy has now spoke with Elias Although it isn't perfect I would still say it was a good result. :laughing::laughing:

I think it just goes to show that if you put your point across as good as you can, the situation may get better.

One of the problems that we Brits have is that we accept what is put down in front of us, if you say something most of the time you get a better service.