Puzzle Solution Sharing

Mishka

Not a big puzzle guy. So I don't really go for them. think I have done one total. Part of the game is sharing the experience, and I think sharing the puzzle solution isn't such a big deal if the person tried to solve it first. I would also contact the owner for hints though. As with my caches, I have been called for help on them. Is that cheating? No, the purpose is for the person to have a good time hunting your cache. If they get stumped and can't get any help then where is the fun?

I always ask the person how much help they want as well. Do they want a hint? A general location? Or the exact location? Most tell me they have looked for it or are out at it. Are they? Have they? Don't know, but i like to think they did. You can't stop cheating, but you can only be honest yourself.

Part of the game is sharing the experience, and I think sharing the puzzle solution isn't such a big deal if the person tried to solve it first.

I disagree. As puzzle owners ourselves, I would say it is a big deal.

I'd say a majority of puzzle owners would be a bit upset with folks sharing solutions.

Let's see...

Step 1:

Work several days on getting puzzle correct. Spend time researching the different methods of solution and make sure there is only one possible answer.

Step 2:

Backward engineer it to test the puzzle.

Step 3:

Give it to a friend or collegue to see if it's workable.

Step 4:

Place the cache with a couple great prizes as a reward for those that spend the extra time working the cache.

Step 5:

Get it published.

Step 6:

Await those FTF logs with anticipation. It might be a while.

THEN, after all of that, someone comes along and posts the puzzle and the solution (maybe even the final coordinates?) on another website.

Yea - that isn't such a big deal to the owner.

Again, lets blow it out of proportion. Not to be religious, but I think the following says it all:

give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

and the strength to cahnge the things I can.

Once you post it out there for the world to see, you don't have much control how people hunt your cache. Accept that or create your own website called puzzlecache.com and make the rules up there and how the game can be played.

Yea - that isn't such a big deal to the owner.

I guess that depends on the owner. I own 7 or 8 puzzle caches, and I'd be more than happy to give you the coords to all of them. There are more important things in my world for me to worry about than "how" somebody found one of my caches. My only concern is that the finder had a positive experience. Judging from the logs, I'd say they did.

That being said, when the shoe is on the other foot, I wouldn't enjoy finding someone else's puzzle cache if they just handed me the location. I take a lot of pleasure in solving puzzles, and on those occassions when I ask for help, I direct my request to the cache owner, and specify that I'd just like a little nudge.

Again, lets blow it out of proportion. Not to be religious, but I think the following says it all:

give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

and the strength to cahnge the things I can.

Once you post it out there for the world to see, you don't have much control how people hunt your cache. Accept that or create your own website called puzzlecache.com and make the rules up there and how the game can be played.

No, I don't have much control over how folks hunt our caches, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy with puzzle solution sharing or condone such actions. I personally consider such actions on level with not trading kindly, not putting the cache back where it's supposed to be, or logging without finding. It's simply not acceptable. I might not be able to control other folk's actions, but I sure can stand my ground on what I consider an ethics question.

No, I don't have much control over how folks hunt our caches, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy with puzzle solution sharing or condone such actions. I personally consider such actions on level with not trading kindly, not putting the cache back where it's supposed to be, or logging without finding. It's simply not acceptable. I might not be able to control other folk's actions, but I sure can stand my ground on what I consider an ethics question.

If you can find a way to understand that it's not wrong or right, you'll be happier & healthier.

If you can find a way to understand that it's not wrong or right, you'll be happier & healthier.

<_<

i love doing puzzles and i have one that i have hidden. if sombody wanted to just go find it i would gladly give them the coords as long as it is not for a FTF. i have asked the cache owners for for help on may puzzles and have asked for help /given help on many puzzles. as a result i have made many friends whom have traded phone numbers and gone caching with. so i have made friends and found some really cool puzzles caches as a result of asking for help. :(