Insta-notifications For Caches Outside Area Specified

g-o-cashers

I've noticed over the past several days I've been getting Insta-Notifications for caches that are further away from the point of origin than I requested.

I just received this:

For GCX5ZQ: Mozart's Memorial (Traditional Cache)

50.8mi W (81.7km W)

Published

I have a notification subscription (the one linked at the bottom of the same email) which is supposed to send a notification when a traditional cache is approved within 40 miles of the origin. This has happened at least three times in the last several days on at least two different notification subscriptions.

GO$Rs

I've noticed over the past several days I've been getting Insta-Notifications for caches that are further away from the point of origin than I requested.

I just received this:

50.8mi W (81.7km W)

Published

I have a notification subscription (the one linked at the bottom of the same email) which is supposed to send a notification when a traditional cache is approved within 40 miles of the origin. This has happened at least three times in the last several days on at least two different notification subscriptions.

GO$Rs

My notifications have been screwed up for two weeks also. Exactly as you mentioned with incorrect distances and over various subscrition types.

I just received this:

50.8mi W (81.7km W)

Published

GO$Rs

Think of it as a 40mi × 40mi square, which is much easier to filter for. That's going to give you a maximum distance from the center of about 56½ miles. If you plot those caches outside the 40mi range, I'd bet they're in those corner areas.

Think of it as a 40mi × 40mi square, which is much easier to filter for. That's going to give you a maximum distance from the center of about 56½ miles. If you plot those caches outside the 40mi range, I'd bet they're in those corner areas.

Nope. The cache was 50 miles away and almost due west. Assuming that the square has N/S and E/W sides the cache is outside the bounds (~8m) of that square.

It doesn't seem likely that they would use this sort of algorithm to me. No matter what you do you are going to be calculating some sort of distance so why not just calculate distance to the origin of a notification subscription (which would result in a circular region of hits) rather than the edge or corner of some sort of shape?

GO$Rs

It doesn't seem likely that they would use this sort of algorithm to me. No matter what you do you are going to be calculating some sort of distance so why not just calculate distance to the origin of a notification subscription (which would result in a circular region of hits) rather than the edge or corner of some sort of shape?

Nevermind, that statement was rubbish. Four comparisons would be a lot less computation than a distance calculation.

But either way, I'm still getting notifications that I shouldn't even if they are using a square.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers