My First Day Geocaching...now What

I spent my first day Geocaching (found 9 :D , could not get 3 :D ).

I have already downloaded a PQ to GSAK and my GPSr shows the "Found" caches.

How do I download the "Found" caches to Geocaching.com and GSAK.

I'm sure this is easy but not making the connection right now :D .

Thanks.

I'm sure this is easy but not making the connection right now :D .

Thanks.

I don't know about all those acronyms, but I just enter my finds and DNFs manually. Log in and go to the cache that you have found, then in the upper right hand corner, click on "log your visit" simple as that.

I'm sure this is easy but not making the connection right now :) .

Thanks.

Become a premium member on geocaching.com. It's worth it. You can then run a pocket query. One of them is "My Finds", all of your found caches.

-ThreeTrees

Thanks.

When I log a find on line, I download the individual gpx file to an empty directory. It only takes a couple of clicks per cache. After all the logging is done, I drag that entire directory into the GSAK database. Everything gets updated that way.

Alternatively, as was mentioned above, once a week you can run the My Finds PQ and update from that.

Edited by blindleader

Thanks.

I don't think can load "Found" caches from your GPSr to GSAK. You need to log the "find" by hand on the web site or through GSAK.

If you get a PDA you can export your "finds" to GSAK, type some information the cache cache and then send it to the web site.

Okay . . . long post . . . and there might be a better way to do this, but this is how I log my Found caches. :D

I use GSAK to manage all the cache data I get from my PQs. When I get home from a caching adventure, I search for one of the caches I found during the day. I make that cache the Center Point in the database. Then, in the Found column in GSAK, I check each of the caches I found around that Center Point.

If I went somewhere else, I search the GSAK database for one of those caches and change the Center Point again. Then I check as Found each of the caches I found in that area. I change the center point as many times as I need to.

After I do this, I filter for the Found caches in my database. Now I have a short list to work with. I double-check against the Found folder in Cachemate on my Palm to make sure I got all the caches.

Then, I look at my Tracks I downloaded from my GPSr to Mapsource to see the caches in order of my travels. Now, in GSAK, I Double-click each cache to open the cache page in my browser.

I log each cache in order of my Tracks.

After I am done, I "Move" the Found caches to the Found database in GSAK. :D

There is a way to transfer your Notes from Cachemate to GSAK and then to the cache page . . . but I could never figure that out . . . :)

Thanks guys.

Now, will updating GSAK and my found PQ's automatically update my profile on geocaching.com or do I have to do that seperately?

No it will not do it automatically.

In GSAK for the indivial cache, double click the "note" area. I log page will pop up. Type what you want to be in the cache log in the "Log Section' box. Then click "log cache". The cache page will then pop up with what you typed in the right place. Enter they type of log (Found, DNF, Note, etc) and hit enter. That will do it.

Good luck.