Ontario War Memorials

I would like to see a category for Ontario War Memorials. These would include all the statues, etc. listed on the Ontario War Memorials data base.

A worthy category, perhaps. There are other war memorial categories -- WWI, Vietnam, U.S. Revolutionay and Civil Wars, I believe. Strangely, no WWII or Korean War. My only concern would be excessive overlap, though some is not a problem, as a lot of categories overlap to some extent.

Could you provide a link to the database? This might give us a better picture of what you envision.

I understand what Yorelken is describing as Ontario has a huge amount of War Memorials in the form of statues in almost every town. And then are Cenotaphs as well.

That is not to say that other States and Provinces don't have this same feature... but I can't speak for those.

This could be the start of a new Master Directory... similar to the "Historic Markers" that nearly every State and Province has representation in.

As a person that loves the history related to these locations, I would love to be an Officer in this Category if you create it.

There are other war memorial categories -- WWI, Vietnam, U.S. Revolutionay and Civil Wars, I believe. Strangely, no WWII or Korean War. My only concern would be excessive overlap, though some is not a problem, as a lot of categories overlap to some extent.

Yup... I see how that relates. This would fit right in with those. I wager that a "War Memorials" header that divided into "New York War Memorials", "Ontario War Memorials", "Washington War Memorials" (you get the idea I'm sure) would be a great complement to the Historic Markers.

I'm in!

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

p.s. This log entry represents my 1000th post in the Groundspeak Forums. It been very rewarding and fun for the majority, just like the Geocaches/Waymarks I've Hidden/Found or Own/Visited.

You keep playing, I'll keep playing.... we fuel each other to keep going.

I wouldn't rely on that site as the definitive source though. There are many in my area that are not on that list, and some of the images were for other items.

Looking at this one...

burlingt.jpg

I've been there, (as if you don't know that Yorelken :laughing: ) and it looks different. This one looks like a computerized version.

Or this one... from the site you listed

battle.jpg

when the actual Memorial is this image...

426cf9bd-1e6a-475b-927a-0084e45c1cc4.jpg

I would think this is more of what you are looking for.

bfde1031-434a-41ca-b34b-61735dac35fd.jpg

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

I checked a couple of local ones and there do seem to be a lot of omissions and errors. A good reason for a Waymark category to correct them :laughing: .

I wonder if the category shouldn't be Canadian War Memorials with Province as a drop-down variable. That would make it a bit broader and an opportunity for more waymarkers to contribute.

Hard Oiler Posted Today, 05:09 AM

I wonder if the category shouldn't be Canadian War Memorials with Provinces as a drop-down variable. That would make it a bit broader and an opportunity for more waymarkers to contribute.

I agree with Hard Oiler about using drop down variables for all 'Provinces' and 'Territories' or else only the 5 of us might end up logging all Ontario "Waymarks" :anicute:

488c59c5-2940-40a8-9a6f-a837ba054bff.jpg

Call me if you need more "Officers" :laughing: