60 Csx

Hopefully Ill get my new GPSr tommorow no maps have to wait for that to fit in the budget, what do I need to do to get this thing up and running and ready to cache?

any tips, hints or tricks to help my learning curve. I currently use a explorist 200 that doesnt hook up to the computer.

Buy one of these: http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/GARGPS60.html before you scratch it. I recommend them as others did to me. This one is clear where others aren't.

Read the manual. Install the software into your computer.

I'm a simple guy so I use the free version of EasyGPS to load the GPX files into my GPS. I just copy and paste the cache pages into my palm pda desktop.

Get a suction cup windshield mount. Get a cigarette lighter power adapter. You gotta get a mapping program when you can.

Keep poking the menu button to see what you can do, like turn color "on" for the sat bars. Do the software and firmware updates after you get comfortable with the unit.

I've had mine two weeks now and am very happy with it. Get the bean bag mount for the dashboard in non-regular cars -- it's nice not to have to lick :anicute: suction cups to get them to stick (& stay!) on the windshield. You can get Garmin's (I think they call it) Automobile Navagation Kit from about $150 if you don't buy it from Garmin -- it includes beanbag mount, map software (you need this -- it's much better than the base maps and auto-routing works much better with it than not), car power cord, and a permanent mount. Although I haven't done it yet, it sounds like you should also keep up to date on the firmware upgrades. There is a learning curve but it's not too bad.

It works well with GSAK. Some thoughts about GSAK -- I can't remember how many characters are allowed for a waypoint name, but up it to at least 14. I've also started using some of the special tags in the wayoint description format field when I transfer waypoints to the GPS -- I'm currently using "%By (%typ1/%con1 %Dif/%Ter) %last4" (less the quotes) which puts the placer, the 1st letter of the cache type & container, the difficulty and terrain rating, and the last four logs all in the notes section on the gps. It looks to me that there is room for a lot more.

And yes, do what EraSeek suggested about the screen protector. I've got one of those also and so far, so good. I went so far as to leave the film that comes with the unit on until the protector arrived.

I love my new Garmin -- it's almost 100% better than my old unit.

Edited by FluteFace

wow got it today and all I can do is say wow

""It works well with GSAK. Some thoughts about GSAK -- I can't remember how many characters are allowed for a waypoint name, but up it to at least 14. I've also started using some of the special tags in the wayoint description format field when I transfer waypoints to the GPS -- I'm currently using "%By (%typ1/%con1 %Dif/%Ter) %last4" (less the quotes) which puts the placer, the 1st letter of the cache type & container, the difficulty and terrain rating, and the last four logs all in the notes section on the gps. It looks to me that there is room for a lot more."""

so i can see more info for each cache?? how do I view it ??

well i loaded some caches into my 60csx but i only see 51 but I downloaded 472?

You are likely up against the distance limit for "view nearest". I would bet that if you "view by name" and enter the name of a far away cache you loaded that it will show up. You might also try "view all waypoints".