Locations Of Questionable Intent

jeodog

Hi all,

Am brand new at this,as in,still waiting for my GPS to arrive by mail.Have researched most of the GPS units,read thru the forums,read the reviews,blah,blah.Have a pretty good idea what to expect.And,i'm sure will still have questions i haven't even thought of.The one question i haven't heard anything about is this:has anyone ever run into that one waypoint or GPS location that,might of spelled trouble,as in being led to a place where you could get robbed,beat up,harrassed,or the very least,led to a store,maybe or a place where some kind of sale was going on?This might sound silly,and i'm really sorry,but i allways think like this.Though this kind of location wouldn't last long,hey,it only takes one.

Another key might be for cache hiders that hide such caches to be certain that they make it crystal clear in their description that the particular cache is in a potentially dangerous area where high crime rates exist and/or where druggies and gangbangers and what ever hang out. This way unsuspecting cachers and their families will not be inadvertantly drawn into such areas only to experience the "rut roe..." moment when sitting at the first stop light. Of course God forbid, they could simply not hide caches in such areas in the first place. Yes, I know sacrilegeous and un-American. :D:D:D

Everyone has a different comfort level. I don't see where the cache owner has to warn of every potential risk, especially if they aren't uncomfortable in the area.

If you're looking for an urban cache and you drive into a area where you don't feel safe, don't leave the car. Abandon the cache hunt and add the cache to your ignore list. If you're out on the trail, turn around and head away from the area. Abandon the cache hunt and add the cache to your ignore list.

There are caches in high crime areas, near homeless encampments and in similar areas. The key is to turn around if you do not feel comfortable.

You got that right, Briansnat!

Seriously, this is why it is the full responsibility of the cache seeker to always be fully aware of their surroundings, their abilities, and are always within their own manageable comfort zone. Why this is important is because not everyone's comfort zone is the same and you never know when you might goof up a puzzle and your own error takes you somewhere the cache owner never intended.

There are caches in high crime areas, near homeless encampments and in similar areas. The key is to turn around if you do not feel comfortable.

Seriously, this is why it is the full responsibility of the cache seeker to always be fully aware of their surroundings, their abilities, and are always within their own manageable comfort zone. Why this is important is because not everyone's comfort zone is the same and you never know when you might goof up a puzzle and your own error takes you somewhere the cache owner never intended.

But shouldn't the cache SEEKER be able to just plug in coordinates and go, and not have to worry about having an unpleasant experience? Why should the cache SEEKER have to go through that when it's clearly the responsibility of the HIDER to provide a comfortable and enjoyable hide?

But shouldn't the cache SEEKER be able to just plug in coordinates and go, and not have to worry about having an unpleasant experience? Why should the cache SEEKER have to go through that when it's clearly the responsibility of the HIDER to provide a comfortable and enjoyable hide?

Who's to say what is an unpleasant experience?? I myself feel funny looking for urban caches. I don't like muggles watching me!! But I have found some really neat places and some cool hides out with my kids looking at these. One in particular was a park we would have NEVER gone to because of the surrounding neighborhood, but the park itself is extremly nice and pleasant. I knew the park was nice, but never stopped there. I was only uncomfortable walking in the traffic to get there with 4 kids. (We were on the sidewalk, but it was a very busy day and we were grabbing a few caches in our downtown area.)

I know plenty of people who feel uncomfortable in the woods. I really don't like the idea of pulling a cache out and finding a snake because I'm absolutly terrified of them. A cache that I've been watching the past couple of days keeps mentioning a king snake that has taken up residence nearby. You better believe I don't plan on trying that one any time soon. I think I'll send King Stinkbug out to get it!

Yes, the cache owner has the reponsiblity to warn of any known dangers, but you as the seeker need to recognize your own limits and fear levels. Just because someone else can pull out a cache with a black snake guarding it doesn't mean I'm going to get withing 100 ft. of it! <_<

I don't think you'd ever just plug in the coordinates or directions to a terrific little store your friend told you about and go. Your friend may have grown up in the neigborhood where there are ladies offering services walking around the corner, a homeless guy has taken up residence, and drug deals are made next door. Your friend was probably so used to the scenery, they didn't think anything of it. Do you blame your friend for not telling you. Do you follow your own instincts and either drive away or suck it up and go anyways. No matter what you do, you make the decision. If you don't feel comfortable, don't go, but don't blame it on someone else that you didn't follow your own instincts about the situation.

The same with geocaching. I always plan out a little where I plan on going by at least looking at a map and seeing where it might be. Don't ever assume the hider even saw the dangers of the area the same as you see them. Everyone sees things differently depending on their own situation.

Man, you sure can pull some stuff out of left field. Seriously.

CR, you know what he is refering too. But in this case I have to agree. If you choose to just put the coordinates in your GPS and head out without checking the cache page, it is your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings and abort the cache hunt if you feel unconfortable continuing. (Of course if you read the cache page there may be information that will let you know that things aren't as dangerous as they may seem)

PR, If you want to attack someone for being inconsistent or using poor logic, you need to be aware of what you are refering to and not use an example where the person is being perfectly consistent and logical.

Wait a minute, if people do this how will I get those notes telling me there's nettles and PI on the way to cache? <_<

Man, you sure can pull some stuff out of left field. Seriously.

CR, you know what he is refering too. But in this case I have to agree. If you choose to just put the coordinates in your GPS and head out without checking the cache page, it is your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings and abort the cache hunt if you feel unconfortable continuing. (Of course if you read the cache page there may be information that will let you know that things aren't as dangerous as they may seem)

PR, If you want to attack someone for being inconsistent or using poor logic, you need to be aware of what you are refering to and not use an example where the person is being perfectly consistent and logical.

Not at all. In one breath, we're told you should just be able to plug in coordinates and go, and not expect to deal with lame caches. Next, we're told that you, as the cache seeker, need to make sure you stay within your comfort zone, which is different for everyone.

What I'm trying to figure out it why something as subjective as one's "comfort zone" is the responsibility of the cache seeker, while something else EQUALLY subjective (cache lameness) is somehow the responsibility of the hider.

In other words, why should I have to do my homework to make sure a cache hunt doesn't take me into the ghetto, but NOT have to do my homework to ensure a quality cache find?

Heck, there is no guarantee that I won't have an unpleasant experience just driving to the grocery store. Different people have different ideas on what is fun and challenging and what is unpleasant and scary. You could apply the same logic to some 5* terrain caches. Other's advice above to just turn around if you aren't comfortable with a cache hunt is good advice. But just because you aren't comfortable doesn't mean that everyone will be uncomfortable as well. Maybe there are actually some redeeming qualities to the cache and the location that you aren't aware of.

I am the "plug and go" type of cacher, and I rarely refer to the cache page unless I am having trouble finding the cache. I take all responisbility for the fact that I don't read the cache pages beforehand. I still have a lot of fun, and enjoy the extra challenge of hunting with just the coordinates.

--Marky

Heck, there is no guarantee that I won't have an unpleasant experience just driving to the grocery store. Different people have different ideas on what is fun and challenging and what is unpleasant and scary. You could apply the same logic to some 5* terrain caches. Other's advice above to just turn around if you aren't comfortable with a cache hunt is good advice. But just because you aren't comfortable doesn't mean that everyone will be uncomfortable as well. Maybe there are actually some redeeming qualities to the cache and the location that you aren't aware of.

I am the "plug and go" type of cacher, and I rarely refer to the cache page unless I am having trouble finding the cache. I take all responisbility for the fact that I don't read the cache pages beforehand. I still have a lot of fun, and enjoy the extra challenge of hunting with just the coordinates.

--Marky

I, too, am a "plug and go" cacher, and like yourself, always have the descriptions handy when my common sense tells me something is amiss. I've found caches in all parts of Oakland, Tenderloin of San Francisco, and even been harrassed by homeless during cache hunts, recently in Sacramento. (I explained how a GPS works to the homeless, and he just got boggled and went back to his smokes :rolleyes: )

I think EVERYONE should shoulder some responsibility for caches in tough neighborhoods. The hider should mention it in the description, and the finder should be alert. People make wrong turns into tough neighborhoods all the time, so one can't just blame cache placements, although I do prefer the hider exercise restraint if possible.

--Marky

I, too, am a "plug and go" cacher, and like yourself, always have the descriptions handy when my common sense tells me something is amiss. I've found caches in all parts of Oakland, Tenderloin of San Francisco, and even been harrassed by homeless during cache hunts, recently in Sacramento. (I explained how a GPS works to the homeless, and he just got boggled and went back to his smokes :rolleyes: )

I think EVERYONE should shoulder some responsibility for caches in tough neighborhoods. The hider should mention it in the description, and the finder should be alert. People make wrong turns into tough neighborhoods all the time, so one can't just blame cache placements, although I do prefer the hider exercise restraint if possible.

When these "wrong turns" are made while in persuit of a cache, that is not an "all the time" event. :rolleyes::o:o

--Marky

But there is a 'guarantee', that if you are driving to a grocery store that you are familiar with, that you at least have the opportunity to decide to not go there. How driving to the corner grocery got equated with geocache placements is a puzzlement to me. And I suspect, an excuse for others. Knowingly placing caches in crime ridden locations is just plain wrong. Hanging lace on it does not change that. :rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

Edited by Team Cotati