Do You Have To Have A Gps To Be Able To Find A Cache

sasha.p

Google maps is an oft-used resource, and I do know that in my area, people have found caches based on it alone. Sometimes, if the coordiantes are off a bit, those relying on google maps have more success because they can't know quite as accurately where the cache is, and so search wider.

So no, you don't strictly need a gps, particularly for caches in very urban locations.

You'll really enjoy caching w/o a GPSr, according to many in here it can be great fun as well as add to the challenge. Welcome to the game!! Perhaps you can hook up with some cachers in your area who could 'show you the ropes' so to speak. Hint: Don't use bread crumbs. Cache on Garth!! :D:D:D

Edited by Team Cotati

IF google earth/maps has a good high res imagary map for the area, then it actually is quite good, at least it is in my town. I've put in waypoints for known caches, my back yard, etc.. They're always spot-on.

Finding the cache on a long overgrown fence row with google earth; not so good... Finding a cache hidden in a tree in a planter beside a store, yeah, no big deal.

I sometimes "cheat" and look at Google Earth when picking which caches I want to hit. I try not so much to focus on exactly WHERE the cache is, but what the terrain is.. If it's a high field I'm going to avoid it (I HATE TICKS) and if it's a really high muggler or high traffic area I might avoid it or plan for a late/weekend time, etc.

Sure. Just find a map with a nicely detailed TOPO & coordinates resolution & figure it out the "old fashioned way" lol There are a few here that do it that way.

im confised already whats a topo? :drama:

Oh, just to clear up any remaining confusion, TOPO is short for topography, which basically means terrain details like rivers, shorelines, elevation changes etc. Quite often the terrains TOPO will be very helpful to isolate a precise location of a cache especially if it's a fair ways off the beaten path. Good luck!