Garmin Legend Problem

Today I was caching and about halfway to cache #1 in car, I look up and the Legend is off. I thought I might have clamped the dash mount on the power button, so I turn it back on.

A couple minutes later there is a window that looks like this:

- At the top it says, "External Power Source unplugged"

- Middle, "GPS will shut off in..." countdown numbers

- Bottom - "Press any button to switch to battery power"

At the end of countdown GPS shuts down.

I don't and have never had an external power source. I pressed the button and that window would close, but just pop up again a few minutes later.

When I started caching it stopped, but I'm not sure if something was fixed, or it was because I was fiddling with all the buttons while caching, keeping the window away.

Anyone have this problem? How does one fix it?

This sounds like you need to first do a master reset and see if that clears it up. Other than that I think a call to Garmin will be in order

Today I was caching and about halfway to cache #1 in car, I look up and the Legend is off. I thought I might have clamped the dash mount on the power button, so I turn it back on.

A couple minutes later there is a window that looks like this:

- At the top it says, "External Power Source unplugged"

- Middle, "GPS will shut off in..." countdown numbers

- Bottom - "Press any button to switch to battery power"

At the end of countdown GPS shuts down.

I don't and have never had an external power source. I pressed the button and that window would close, but just pop up again a few minutes later.

When I started caching it stopped, but I'm not sure if something was fixed, or it was because I was fiddling with all the buttons while caching, keeping the window away.

Anyone have this problem? How does one fix it?

I haven't heard about that problem before. What kind of batteries are you using? Did you try different ones?

I have only gotten that message when I have actually disconnected my GPSr from the external power. I used to have a Vista and now have a Vista C. (And, since I hated having it shut off, I changed the settings so it just tells me it has been disconnected, but doesn't shut off.)

My eMap has sometimes gone through that same sequence of acting as if external power had been disconnected. It's happened to me on warm sunny days when I have the eMap in a clear waterproof pouch on my kayak and I think it's due to overheating inside the pouch. Moving it into a shady spot seems to cure the problem.

Was your Legend in a place where it may have gotten too warm?

My eMap has sometimes gone through that same sequence of acting as if external power had been disconnected. It's happened to me on warm sunny days when I have the eMap in a clear waterproof pouch on my kayak and I think it's due to overheating inside the pouch. Moving it into a shady spot seems to cure the problem.

Was your Legend in a place where it may have gotten too warm?

Very interesting. It was indeed in a black dashmount, above a dark gray dashboard on a VERY sunny and hot day. Also, when I ventured into the woods, it did go away. This is my first summer with the dash mount, so that could be it.

How does one do a master reset? I'll give that a try as well.

Also, I did change the batteries and it did it again while in car.

I believe to do the Master Reset you push the Power Button and the Click Stick, and the Page button at the same time. When you do a reset, you lose all your waypoints, so you might want to download them to your computer if there are some you want to save.