Garmin 76cx Autoroute

Hello, I just got my 76cx yesterday and uploaded the local maps from metroguide 6 on to it. I wanted to try it by having it autoroute to the nearby Bestbuy to get screen protectors for it, but everytime I try to autoroute it wants me to get onto the local highway which actually takes me out of the way, and doesn't actually give me the best directions. I've changed the routing settings to avoid the highway and tollways but it stills autoroutes to that same route. Any suggestions?

You can open .loc files in Mapsource. You can also open the .gpx files in the latest version of Mapsource available on Garmin's website. The .gpx files have much more information in them.

I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to manage all my cache data. Because I am a Premium Member, something I highly recommend, I can create Pocket Queries, which, instead of giving me the limited-information .loc files, allows me to get the .gpx files.

GSAK Exports data for Mapsource and my Palm M500. I also send the waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK.

GSAK is free to use for 21 days before a nag screen starts. It is well worth the reasonable registration fee. There is other free software available, however. :laughing:

If you're STUCK with MetroGuide maps, then you can use the SendMap or Img2GPS programs to send MetroGuide maps WITH ROUTING DATA to the GPSr. You would lose the ability to search for addresses when using this technique, but the GPSr would autoroute properly.