Garmin Etrex Legend + Laptop = Noobie Questions

Whizzn

Hi All;

A few months ago I bought an eTrex Legend (blue'ish clear case) and

MapSource Metro Guide V5.0. I've only used the eTrex a little so far so doing some beginner Geocaching, so I'm not real experienced. Last week I finally got a laptop. The laptop only has USB

ports.

I've been prowling this great forum looking for hints, clue's etc.. for

putting this pair together to achieve real time tracking and auto routing on the

laptop. Hopefully I've figured it out OR close to understanding and doing

it.

Here is what I understand so far:

I install Mapsource Metro Guide on my laptop.

I download and install Nroute from the Garmin site (I think it's called

that). For live tracking info.

I need to buy this cable http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/P/eUSB1 . Since I'm no

techie like you guys, this one I'm not sure about. I believe that I would

need a dual cable; one that will supply external power from the USB port of

the laptop to the eTrex (so I don't run on batteries all the time), and one to transfer

constant data between the eTrex and the laptop. I have a cigarette lighter

power plug for the eTrex, but, I don't think I can use it and a USB

connector at the same time, right???

My goal is to put the eTrex Legend on the dashboard with a cable(s) going to the

laptop. The laptop will be plugged into the cigarette lighter for power for

long trips, powering itself and the eTrex.

If I understand what I've been reading I will be able to get live tracking,

auto routing and all the other standard eTrex information that is displayed on

it's little screen, including voice for turns and directions all now coming

from the laptop. Is this correct ???

Thanks to all in advance for any input you offer to keep me straight and not

doing something stupid or buying the wrong things or worse, totally misunderstanding this whole thing.

John McC

Florida

I think if you look on Ebay that you will be able to find the cable you need. I don't know about mapsource, because the only time I used my laptop with my GPS I was using MS streets and trips. It will interface with your GPS and give you your present location on the map on your laptop. I think it will also auto route using the laptop, but have not tried that.

Can the etrex legend pull power through the usb port??? I was thinking it couldn't but I haven't had my etrex now for a year or two... Plus on the cable page referenced above it points you to this http://pfranc.com/usb/etrex.htm which seems to be a jimmy rigged way of pulling power....

I don't think you can pull power through usb on this unit so I am going to suggest that you just get a serial to usb adapter. Which is what that cable you linked to is, but there are far less fancier ones that might save you some money.

kgag.

I ended up buying two serial-to-USB cables from ebay to hook my Legend to my laptop. The first cable did not work.

The one that I was able to borrow and try and then buy from ebay is the Dynex brand cable. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

My dad bought that cable from BestBuy last year for about $35. I got it delivered from ebeay for a total of about $18.

I have playedwith the nRoute program with my Garmin i2, but not with my Legend. Yes, it will do the voice commands and everything on the laptop screen and uses the i2 primarily as the antenna. I am not sure which one is providing the actual routing. Seems to me I can use either the i2 or the nRoute to do the routing.

I haven't actually used it in the car, just in the house using the i2's ability to simulate driving the route.

With MetroGuide and Nroute you do not get auto routing, it will only show you where you are. MS Streets and Trips will auto route with voice propmting with the Legend hooked up.

The OP's MetroGuide USA v5 auto-routes just fine with nRoute. I can't speak to the later North America v6, though.

I HAVE AN ETREX VENTURE WHICH I HAVE USED FOR A FEW YEARS NOW WITH MY LAPTOP. WHAT YOU NEED IS GARMINS PC INTERFACE/12 V POWER CABLE #010-10268-00 WHICH YOU CAN FIND ONLINE OR AT A BEST BUY OR A GANDER MOUNTAIN. THE USB/SERIAL ADAPTER THAT I USE IS AN IOGEAR #GUC232A (WWW.IOGEAR.COM) I FOUND THIS AT A STAPLES OFFICE SUPPLY STORE. I'VE USED THESE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH MY LAPTOP RUNNING MS STREETS AND TRIP 2005. I HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU.

HAPPY GPSING