Gsak Problems

When I create a pocket list, I make sure that it is not in LOC format but in GPX format.

I download a geocache (in GPX format) and open the icon on my desktop. When it opens it gives me three options of 1. Exact Match 2. Wild card match 3. geocaching owner number. I choose Wild card because that sounds the best from what it says.

It then brings up a warning screen that tells me how bad LOC files are. It seems to me that it thinks these files are in LOC format.

Any help? I am a premium member so I do have access to GPX

The option you are talking about are for the program to figure out what is your handle. this allows it to mark owned and found status to the caches. In options, type in your handle or ID# so that it remembers this and stops asking.

I have no idea why you are getting that warning. I assume the files have a GPX suffix?

What version of GSAK are you using?

You might want to try the GSAK forums: http://www.gsak.net/board/

Edited by Red90

Are you getting a .zip file as an attachment in your email InBox?

To get rid of that warning screen, you need to go to the GSAK Tools/Options dialogue box and put your Geocaching name in the blank and click the radio button for Exact Match. Then you will stop getting that warning.

I should add. If they ARE a LOC file, then there will not be much information in the database after loading. I thinnk the LOC files just contain the name, code and coordinates. No descritption of hint, etc.. Do you seem to get all of the information?

When it opens it gives me three options of 1. Exact Match 2. Wild card match 3. geocaching owner number. I choose Wild card because that sounds the best from what it says.

You should choose Exact Match. Enter your Geocaching Alias. This affects the way GSAK matches your Placed and Found caches. It doesn't have anything to do with the LOC / GPX issue.

It then brings up a warning screen that tells me how bad LOC files are. It seems to me that it thinks these files are in LOC format.

The only time you will receive a warning about the loc file is when you attempt to import an loc file. How are you generating these files? Are you

1) Using the Pocket Query function

2) Selecting the caches from the cache list and then clicking on download.

3) Open each cache individually and click on download LOC Waypoint Files or GPS eXchange file

Item number one allows you to choose either loc or gpx files and the file will be emailed to you.

Item number two WILL ALL WAYS give you a loc file regardless of your membership status.

Item number three is up to you to select the file type.

Hope this helps.

ok I got it to work, If I downloaded a pocket list it does not work. I went to a cache page and clicked the indivdual download link and it worked.

Not sure why pocket download didnt work

I'm not sure you are selecting a day for the Pocket Query to run and waiting for it to arrive in your email InBox. It sounds like you might be just looking at the Results and downloading the .loc files from that.

You can get up to 500 caches in that email attachment. Make sure your ISP isn't blocking .zip files. Many people get a Gmail.com account for their Pocket Queries. I had no trouble getting PQs through a Yahoo! email account.

The only time you will receive a warning about the loc file is when you attempt to import an loc file. How are you generating these files? Are you

1) Using the Pocket Query function

2) Selecting the caches from the cache list and then clicking on download.

3) Open each cache individually and click on download LOC Waypoint Files or GPS eXchange file

1. With the pocket query function, click the preview the search link. I check the caches I want to download then click the download waypoints button on the bottome of the page. (firefox) It brings up a screen saying the waypoints are in loc format. I go to edit the pocket cache format and it still says its in GPX format.

2. 2 is the same as option 1 right?

3. This is the only one that has worked for me.