Seeking Pda Advice

JBiff

I am currently using a Garmin Etrex Legend C for geocaching and am very happy with it. However I would like to go paperless and therefore need to purchase a PDA. Would probably not use it for much more than caching but might like to have other options. Hoping to keep it to less than or near $100. Any suggestions?

palm M100 series will do it - dirt cheap (100, 105)

M500 series (500, 515) will add more memory, so you can store more caches.

the new Z22 will work (latest OS, tons of mem and $99)

above that you are really blowing money, the TX, T3, T5, etc cost too much to justify for paperless caching.

Remember, you are going to be out in the boonies with this thing, so WHEN it gets dropped, wet, destroyed, the question becomes how much $$$ are you willing to throw away.

Good luck and have fun.

The only problem I have with the Z22 is readability in bright light. Tweaking contrast and such helps, but still not perfect. Don't get me wrong, it's useable, but it could be improved upon. And I use for different things, not just caching.

I have DeLorme Street Atlas Handheld and Topo loaded on it, which are great.

If you get a Z22, get teh hard plastic "Air Case". It's rugged and will protect your PDA.

I have a Palm M500. The monochrome screen is very easy to read even in bright sunlight. With the additional data card, I can store thousands of caches on the PDA, which is very useful if you are going on a road trip.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $50.00, including shipping. I've even seen some "new in the box" units on eBay for that price.

Get Cachemate, or Plucker, for the Palm, and a hard case, and you will be all set.

As Miragee said "Get Cachemate, or Plucker, for the Palm, and a hard case, and you will be all set."

I have a Palm T/X (I use it for other needs primarily) and use Cachemate. I've saved reams and reams of paper with it.

Put your M500 together with a 128Meg SD card along with a protective case for it and you'll be hot and ready.

Good luck

I have a Palm M500. The monochrome screen is very easy to read even in bright sunlight. With the additional data card, I can store thousands of caches on the PDA, which is very useful if you are going on a road trip.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $50.00, including shipping. I've even seen some "new in the box" units on eBay for that price.

Get Cachemate, or Plucker, for the Palm, and a hard case, and you will be all set.

Is the Palm 500 compatiable with windows XP and only USB ports? I do have a USB/serial cable and all the programs. I cannot get a Hotsync with my palmIIIx or palmIIIxe using this cable???. So I guess I will try another PDA...I did check out the palm500 on ebay, but I could not see where the 500 would work with Windows XP and USB...thanks for any reply :) Guy

Edited by Wild Thing 73

Is the Palm 500 compatiable with windows XP and only USB ports? I do have a USB/serial cable and all the programs. I cannot get a Hotsync with my palmIIIx or palmIIIxe using this cable???. So I guess I will try another PDA...I did check out the palm500 on ebay, but I could not see where the 500 would work with Windows XP and USB...thanks for any reply :) Guy

You also need the Palm desktop which was not mentioned above. Its free from palm.com

I also use an Etrex Legend C and just recently picked up a slightly used palm M100 at a pawn shop for 30 bucks. I use GSAK and CacheMate and it seems to work flawlessly. Make sure you pay the 8$ to register CacheMate, or you will only be able to load 10 records into your palm. The M100 will hold over 500 caches worth of pages which is more than enough for me.

I have a USB Palm M500, but the OS on this computer is Win2KPro. However, a friend has a different model Palm with WinXP Home and it works fine with the USB connection. I'm sure the Palm M500 will work with WinXP, although I have read here that there might be problems with the WinXP Media OS DELL is putting on some of their new computers.

You can download the new Palm desktop from the Palm site and any drivers the M500 needs for WinXP and you should be fine.

The Serial port Palms you have should work fine for someone who has an older laptop (like the one I have) that has a Serial Port. You can probably sell those in the Garage Sale Forum. idea.gif

Edited by Miragee

Is the Palm 500 compatiable with windows XP and only USB ports? I do have a USB/serial cable and all the programs. I cannot get a Hotsync with my palmIIIx or palmIIIxe using this cable???. So I guess I will try another PDA...I did check out the palm500 on ebay, but I could not see where the 500 would work with Windows XP and USB...thanks for any reply :rolleyes: Guy

You also need the Palm desktop which was not mentioned above. Its free from palm.com

Yes I have Palm desktop :anicute:

Is the Palm 500 compatiable with windows XP and only USB ports? I do have a USB/serial cable and all the programs. I cannot get a Hotsync with my palmIIIx or palmIIIxe using this cable???. So I guess I will try another PDA...I did check out the palm500 on ebay, but I could not see where the 500 would work with Windows XP and USB...thanks for any reply :anicute: Guy

I have a USB Palm M500, but the OS on this computer is Win2KPro. However, a friend has a different model Palm with WinXP Home and it works fine with the USB connection. I'm sure the Palm M500 will work with WinXP, although I have read here that there might be problems with the WinXP Media OS DELL is putting on some of their new computers.

You can download the new Palm desktop from the Palm site and any drivers the M500 needs for WinXP and you should be fine.

The Serial port Palms you have should work fine for someone who has an older laptop (like the one I have) that has a Serial Port. You can probably sell those in the Garage Sale Forum. idea.gif

Thanks Miragee....It looks as if I must buy an older PC...Is that "back to the future"? :rolleyes:

Is the Palm 500 compatiable with windows XP and only USB ports? I do have a USB/serial cable and all the programs. I cannot get a Hotsync with my palmIIIx or palmIIIxe using this cable???. So I guess I will try another PDA...I did check out the palm500 on ebay, but I could not see where the 500 would work with Windows XP and USB...thanks for any reply :rolleyes: Guy

Yes I have palm desktop <_< but I must be missing something...brains and knowledge...I guess!:anicute:

Edited by Wild Thing 73