Please Help!

medic'n'rn

:blink: please help!!!!!!

started caching about a month ago, found 3 caches so far. there is one cache in mason ohio area that i have been to 3 times and can not for the life of me find it. i get to the area using the coordinates but can not find the cache. i read the spoilers but still can not find. my boyfriend and i have this cache and another that we are having troubel with. they both are in the woods. any tips for finding these kind of caches??? thanks-----------------medic'n'rn.

After you look in all the obvious places, look in all the not so obvious places. When I have a problem finding one, I mark ground zero and begin working my way out to about 60'. I might go in a straight line or I might go in increasing circles. I did a small micro (read NANO!) that took 5 visits to find. Also, see when the last find was. There's a possibility it may be gone.

I noticed you said that the cache is in the woods. I have found that the quality of the signal realy degrades under heavy tree cover. One approach I have used is to shoot an approach while I still have a good signal and use a compass to continue in more or less a straight line until I am close. I then start my search. If I have the patience I will seach a 40' circle from where I zero. With that said I have a lot of no finds even with all the time spent looking. I find 1/1 rated cache fool me more than any othere caches these days.

Some of the traditional things I look for with woodland caches include "unnatural piles of XYZ" (where XYZ could be sticks, logs, rocks), hollow logs, cavities in trees, hollow stumps, crevices in rock outcrops, and natural hollows at the base of boulders or fallen trees. For openings in trees/rocks/boulders, keep in mind that there may be additional camo like leaves or sticks obscuring the container. A penlight/mini-Maglite can be useful when peeking inside some of those spots, and gentle probing with a stick is sometimes a good thing to try before shoving your arm up to the elbow inside of a log that might turn out to be some furry critter's living room. :drama:

I'll also keep an eye out for things that stand out in some way from their surroundings - a gnarled/twisted/lightning-blasted tree, a solitary oak in a stand of pines, or a multi-trunked tree. In largely uniform forests, oddities like these stand out more, and some hiders will use this to help focus your search on a particular spot. Like marmetion mentioned, don't get over-focused on the ground - you might be amazed at what someone can conceal in the fork of a tree trunk with the aid of a handful of leaves, pine needles, or a well-placed piece of bark. And a couple dozen yards of green rope can make even a 5-gallon bucket vanish into the pleasantly-scented embrace of a pine's branches. :ninja: