Gpsmap 76csx - Any Reviewers Out There?

I see lots of threads about the new 60Cx but I've seen very little regarding the 76 units. I have a 76CS and am considering getting the 76CSx but, after all the comments regarding problems with the 60Cx units I'm wondering if there are similiar issues with the 76 series.

Anybody have one of the new 76 series units and care to comment on it?

I have owned a Map76CSx for the last 4 months. I have used it daily in my work commutes, auto routing to local addresses and out of town trips. I also have used it off road hiking and four wheeling. Other than the early ----- elevation problem that was fixed in the last code upgrade, I have had no problem what so ever and I am totally happy with this GPSr. This is my third Garmin GPSr and this is by far the best one I have owned. I highly recommend it!

PS. BTW...My last unit was the Map76S. The 76CSx model and it's significantly improved receiver is well worth the upgrade. :-)

Edited by bgarland

Just love my 76CSX. I have yet to notice any real problems, currently running 2.71 Beta and 2.5 I loaded the new versions the day I received my GPSr. Accuracy of the unit is BETTER than I was expecting, put up against an ADJUSTED benchmark the unit had it within 2.5 Feet of the official coordinates and just 23.075 feet off of the official height. :anibad: This is with WAAS disabled, untill they have WAAS fully functional i'm not even going to worry about it. :P

I recently upgraded from the 76s to the 76csx and have been very happy. It is a significant upgrade with the new receiver. I have the beta version loaded and have not seen any the issues being reported by 60csx users. I did find that using the battery saver function seriously degrades accuracy. Recommend leaving this off unless it is absolutely required. Also I have been turning the WAAS function off until that system is fully up and running. A great deal of the complaints regarding the 60csx revolve around the altimeter and barometer readings. I my humble opinion many are expecting too much from these units. Because of the basic design these are not set it and forget it units. They do need to cablibrated and if this is done they will provide reasonable accuracy.

The other issue I see concerns the wandering when stationary. These units are designed for mobile use not fixed station use. The key to good accuracy when trying to locate something as in geocaching is to keep moving. If you stay stationary for any length of time the unit with wander because of all the variables involved. Even my 2610 Streetpilot does it.

Anyway I feel this is an outstanding unit and would highly recommend it. Garmin has a good track record in fixing problems so I don't get overly concerned about reported gliches. Garmin does try to respond to user reports and that is why we seen so many beta versions issued.

Have a good day!

Stryder2

The 76 CSX and 60 CSX are identical from the point of view of SIRF-software, Garmin firmware and electronic hardware.

Therefore everything you read about the 60 CSX, is also true for the 76 CSX (except that the 76 will swim if you throw it into a lake, and the 60 will dive :anibad:).

However, people tend to buy more the 60 series, I can't say why.

I took the 60 because I prefer the keys below the display, and don't have the intention to throw my unit into a river.:P

Edited by NewZealand

I think that more people like the 60csx form factor. The fact that it had a smaller card and was cheaper was a plus also as I planned to chuck the card and get a larger one.

Now that the 76csx has a 100 dollar rebate I probably would have gone that route except I like my buttons on the bottom.

Its pretty much a toss up I think...buy the one you like the best. They are both functinally equal in every way.

In the gps owned thread, there are only six 76CSx's listed.

I would guess there are a lot more not shown though.