Gps Garmin 60csx And Geocaching Function Trouble

hammer007911

This is my first post and have found a couple of caches this weekend.

I have purchased 2 GPs. I do not want to have to battle over who is holding it.

I bought the Garmin and a Magellan 400.

I am going to use the Garmin and can not figure out where to get information on how to use the Geocaching function. I went to the Garmin website as my manual said to do and I could not find any info there on how to set it up for Geo.

Is there any step by step guide you may know of on how to set it up for Geo'ing?

Or if this has been covered could someone tell me how.

I find it odd that Garmin has so little support for this.

Thanks

John and Matt

If it's anything like the GPSMAP 60CS then all you have to do is make sure the waypoint icon is an unfound geocache (closed treasure chest). Then when you select "find" then "geocache" it will list all waypoints that have the unfound geocache icon. When you select an unfound geocache and then "goto" then "off road" it should automatically go into geocache mode.

I use GSAK to set up my caches before uploading them to my 60CS. It's much easier than using the 60CS's buttons to set waypoints/icons.

Hope this helps.

tony

you can download both easygps and gsak free on the gc site. Then you can load caches into your gps very quickly and in bulk. If you spend the $30 for premium membership, then you can have pocket querries select your caches as to your specifications, then add a PDA and you're paperless (which I have not done yet.)

Sorry but I must be slow.

I have opened and closed the gc icon about 400 times and it only has found unfound. There are no unfound gc and I need to get them in there.

I will attempt to download and install the easy gps and gsak to see if that helps.

After I load the easy gps do I then select and download the gc I want to ?

How do I get them into my unit then?

Thanks

Slow John

I would recommend you take a look at the FAQ. In particular, look at questions 5 and 6 in the Wayponts Section and read over the Geocaching Section. There are lots of other good tips there too.

Not yet in the Geocaching Section--> Be sure that your routing method is NOT set to "Follow Roads" to use the Geocaching Function. To get the GPSr to prompt you for "follow road" or "off road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted".

When the 60CSx loads a wayppoint, it is placed in either the "normal" or "geocache" waypoint list depending upon the icon contained in the waypoint. By default, the 60Csx considers the unopened treasure chest icon to represent geocaches. If you are loading geocache waypoints and they are going into the normal list then the GPS is failing to recognise them for what they are, probably because the program which is sending the waypoint is using an icon other that the treasure chest to represent geocaches. There are two ways to fix this;

1. Reconfigure the sending program to use the treasure chest icon.

2. Identify which icon your PC software is sending and then reconfigure the geocaching options on the 60CSx

to accept it.

For example, I use memory-map and it transmits the flag icon with each cache waypoint. I had to configure the 60CSx to use flag as the geocache icon before waypoints loaded into the correct list.

I would recommend you take a look at the FAQ. In particular, look at questions 5 and 6 in the Wayponts Section and read over the Geocaching Section. There are lots of other good tips there too.

Not yet in the Geocaching Section--> Be sure that your routing method is NOT set to "Follow Roads" to use the Geocaching Function. To get the GPSr to prompt you for "follow road" or "off road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted".

Great stuff from Sputnik 57. Check this out.

Great stuff from Sputnik 57. Check this out.

I couldn't get http://www.gps.tv/mov/60c/03.mov to play in my browser. I am using IE ver. 6.0.2. Any ideas?

I think you need a QuickTime or some other MIME type plug-in for your browser. How to do that I don't know, my computer at work just happens to have it. The movie shows just what you described, but it's neat to actually see it happen. Until I read your post and did a google on geocaching mode a few minutes ago, I didn't know how to use my own 60CSx. :)

I should have been more clear I do not even know how to upload the GC to my unit.

Thanks

John

First hook up your GPS and turn it on

1.Dowload a program like EasyGPS. Using "file" then "Preferences" select your unit model

2. Do a zipcode search for the caches in your area.

3. Check the box to the right of all the caches you want to dowload

4. Click on the download waypoints box

5. Save file to disk

6. Open EasyGPS and open the saved file in Easy GPS

7. Select "edit" then "select all"

8. Bring mouse pointer into the waypoint list box and right click.

9. Select "edit waypoints"

10. In the symbol pull down box, select the geocache symbol

11. Save file

12. Select "GPS", then "Send waypoints to GPS"

Your GPS will now have all the cache waypoints on it with the geocache symbol. The geocaching feature should be working.

11. Save file

Your GPS will now have all the cache waypoints on it with the geocache symbol. The geocaching feature should be working.

Using GSAK, you don't have the extra step of having to edit the geocache symbols.

11. Save file

Using GSAK, you don't have the extra step of having to edit the geocache symbols.

But you do have the extra step of paying $20 :lol: .

I should have been more clear I do not even know how to upload the GC to my unit.

Thanks

John

First hook up your GPS and turn it on

1.Dowload a program like EasyGPS. Using "file" then "Preferences" select your unit model

2. Do a zipcode search for the caches in your area.

3. Check the box to the right of all the caches you want to dowload

4. Click on the download waypoints box

5. Save file to disk

6. Open EasyGPS and open the saved file in Easy GPS

11. Save file

Thanks for the notes I will try it tonight. And I like the 20 bucks you saved me.

Thanks

John

11. Save file

But you do have the extra step of paying $20 :lol: .

I have the 60c from Garmin, can you or anyone else send me to the right place to configure my unit to download cache coords from GC? I'm a prem member on a mac. Thanks and i am sorry for hijacking the thread. Peace