Coordinate Primer

CacheLord

I've been wondering this for awhile, but haven't thought to ask. But that's what forums are for... B)

This may be a bit of a daunting task to anyone wanting to respond, but should you choose this mission Mr. Phelps...

Could someone describe the differences in coordinate systems, why there are differences, and what the coordinates in each system mean, for the layman? I'm curious as all hell, but I feel if I do a search on the web I'm going to get a million useless pages and it seems like you guys probably know this stuff cold.

I really thank you in advance. B)

I've been wondering this for awhile, but haven't thought to ask. But that's what forums are for... :anitongue:

This may be a bit of a daunting task to anyone wanting to respond, but should you choose this mission Mr. Phelps...

Could someone describe the differences in coordinate systems, why there are differences, and what the coordinates in each system mean, for the layman? I'm curious as all hell, but I feel if I do a search on the web I'm going to get a million useless pages and it seems like you guys probably know this stuff cold.

I really thank you in advance. :ph34r:

Have you tried this from Garmin:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/UsingaGarmin...Maps_Manual.pdf

In over simplified terms;

Each one is a slightly different mathematical model of the earth. The earth is not a perfect sphere and actually bulges a bit. Each also represents a different type of survey for establishing the model. The differences can be quite great. Each uses lat and log coordinate systems and look quite similar but matching coords can be miles away in the different systems.

In over simplified terms;

Each one is a slightly different mathematical model of the earth. The earth is not a perfect sphere and actually bulges a bit.

Over simplified and on two different subject, too. What you are describing is the diffent earth models, and in the same sentence, different map datums, which are related but seperate.

The OP is asking about coordinate systems (but probably means to be asking about datums, too)

gpsinformation.net is a good starting place for all stuff GPS. Google can also be useful.

At the risk of oversimplifying, a coordinate system is simply a way of expressing a location. Some coordinate systems are associated with a particular Earth Model, like UTM. Latitude and longitude can apply to any round world datum, so you need top know which datum a coordinate is given in for it to be any use. Better to read some of the articles on the web and them come back with questions.

I've been wondering this for awhile, but haven't thought to ask. But that's what forums are for... :laughing:

I really thank you in advance. :laughing:

Have you tried this from Garmin:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/UsingaGarmin...Maps_Manual.pdf

Nice link. I had to bookmark that one. :laughing: