Geocaching.com "autologin"

Cyberclops

I want to set up a link that shows me the nearest caches to a given location the when it is clicked on automatically logs me in to geocaching.com. Is this possible? Is it possible to include the username and password in the URL so that you do not have to log in?

Yes. If you login and click "remember me" any link on the site will automagically log you in already. There's no need to provide username/password in a string to do this.

Well... I always check "remember me" and sometimes it does (usually) but sometimes it doesn't (often enough to be annoying). No clue as to why.

I want to set up a link that shows me the nearest caches to a given location the when it is clicked on automatically logs me in to geocaching.com. Is this possible? Is it possible to include the username and password in the URL so that you do not have to log in?

Create a PQ of the caches you want then bookmark the resulting search page.

Yes. If you login and click "remember me" any link on the site will automagically log you in already. There's no need to provide username/password in a string to do this.

Yep, that's the way its supposed to work. But as others have said, sometimes for no obvious reason it doesn't. I've also experienced this when transferring to the forums. I'll be logged in on geocaching.com and not automatically on Groundspeak. I realize they are different machines but in terms of auto login, it seems that for anything, geocaching, the forums and Waymarking it sometime works and sometimes doesn't.

My other autologins to other sites always work so its not PC specific, also shown by others having the same problem. Sounds like a cookie issue to me.

JDandDD

what browser you are using? make sure that your browser is first of all excepting cookies but all is excepting cookies from geocaching.com aswell as (correct me if i am wrong jeremy) batman5 as those are the servers saving cookies to your browser. also check to see if they where set but from some reason geocaching.com isnt reading them.

Now see, I have not ever been able to AutoLogin at GC.com, and I have 4 Poker sites for Hubby, one Yahoo email, one Movie site and 3 more that are hobby-related where the AutoLogins are set and work correctly. I use the same internet browser/ISP for all, and as far as I know the cookies are accepted and saved for each one. Now if I go in and delete those cookies, then I know I will have to re-Login to each site. Why GC.com one has never worked, I have absolutely NO clue. THIS forum has a pre-set button in my browser because it never logs me out here...just at GC.com

Edited by Zzyzx Road

So I tried this ...

1) Went to GC.COM and logged in with the 'remember me' check box checked.

2) Went to a few cache listing and all was well.

3) Logged out.

4) Clicked on the link I created to see the geocaches nearest my workplace.

The resulting page that came up listed the caches closest to my work (as expected), but clicking on one went to the correct page, but the coordinates were not listed and the text "You must be logged in with an account to view the Location Information for this Cache. It's free!" showed up on my screen. After clicking the login button and signing in I got the data I wanted, but I have to manually log in.

I have several other sites that automatically log me in so I know I have the cookies setting correct. There still appears to be something wrong, or something I do not understand about GC.COM.

...The resulting page that came up listed the caches closest to my work (as expected), but clicking on one went to the correct page, but the coordinates were not listed and the text "You must be logged in with an account to view the Location Information for this Cache. It's free!" showed up on my screen. After clicking the login button and signing in I got the data I wanted, but I have to manually log in...

That is what I do also, except that I DON'T log out. I just close the browser. Next time I bring it back up, even if it is right away, I have to log in again. I have just given up on it. I am not a techno-geek (not meant in a bad way, now!) enough to figure out what it could be setting-wise...I just know it works elsewhere.

I have tried both the Netscape that is with my ISP (WalmartConnect), and the IE that is on the computer. I have reset the options in both and I still have the problem. I have even tried it on my mom's computer, and my caching partner has her own account with Netzero and it does it to HER also.

Well... I always check "remember me" and sometimes it does (usually) but sometimes it doesn't (often enough to be annoying). No clue as to why.

This may be becuse either your browser or firewall are disallowing all or certain types of cookies, or it may be that you are on a home or office LAN (network) where other users at other PCs also have gc.com accounts, albeit differnt gic.com accounts -- this will result in more than one gc.com account at one IP address, and this can lead to failure of autologin. A related scenario which will also lead to failure of autologin is if you access more than one gc.com account from the same PC, as, in this case, there will be more than one set of gc.com cookies stored on the PC. For any of these scenarios, you will still be able ot log in manually.

I have tried IE and FireFox.

1) Login

2) Shutdown browser

3) Launch cache page

4) Have to log in again ...

Opera is my preferred browser and I stayed logged in. When I close Opera, it saves all the pages I have open (more than 20 right now) and reopens those same pages when I open the program again. thumbsup.gif

I also have FireFox on this computer and when I close it and reopen it to the pages I have saved, I remain logged in on GC.com and Blogger where I have my Geocaching blog. :)

I am on dialup. I use the free version of Zone Alarm as my firewall and use the free version of AVG Antivirus.

Edited by Miragee

Are you using a dial-up connection. I ask because I've noticed this oddity. I use the gc.com autologin all the time. I've noticed that whenever I login to gc.com at work I will have to login again at home. It seem like the autologin feature can't handle multiple computers or IP addresses.

At the suggestion of Firefox for another GSAK related issue, I find that Firefox keeps my autologin, while the ISP-provided generic verions of Netscape nor the Explorer installed in the computer do. So it isn't a firewall thing I think. WMconnect.com is what I use, and they are a bit limited in the options for the internet settings. I will dig a little farther and find out why the other two don't work. Otherwise I will start using Firefox as a default!