Hash Cache

I'm working on a way to combine two outdoor passions of mine, geocaching and running with the local Hash House Harriers (HHH) club. As some of you may know, the HHH is a running club consisting of a "hare" who marks a running course for the "hounds" to follow. This course is marked with flower or chalk and includes checkpoints with "false trails" along the way to slow down the fast runners and allow the slower runners to catch up. A more detailed description, along with history and location of clubs is located at "harrier.net."

Anyway, I was thinking of building a multicache which would first lead you to a cache containing a list of 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. Only 1 of the set would be the true trail and lead you to the next cache, while the other 1 or 2 would lead to a dead end and marked as a "dead end" cache. The "true trail" would lead you to the next cache listing another 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. In this way, you may have to backtrack if you "guess" the wrong coordinates. You could build this course as long as you want, with 3 or more checkpoints, but I think I would build the first one pretty short in total length. The HHH always end their run with chilled adult beverages, so I thought I could offer a FTF prize like a gift certificate to the local pizza joint. It might inspire a competition to complete the course with the fewest mistakes or in the quickest time and log it along with the find.

This could have already been done, and it sounds a bit like orienteering, but I would appreciate your comments and suggestions before I put one together.

Its been done, but it is a fun idea. I've seen it executed a few ways. One is where the cache has 2 or 3 sets of coords at each stage and you just have to guess which one is correct. Another way is to have a riddle or maybe a really tough trivia question (hopefully one that can't be Googled, so searchers can't phone a friend). Solve the riddle, or get the question right and you get the good coordinates. Wrong answer takes you on a wild goose chase.

One other variant is that if you guess wrong you eventually get to the cache, but its a much longer and more difficult route.

I'm working on a way to combine two outdoor passions of mine, geocaching and running with the local Hash House Harriers (HHH) club. As some of you may know, the HHH is a running club consisting of a "hare" who marks a running course for the "hounds" to follow. This course is marked with flower or chalk and includes checkpoints with "false trails" along the way to slow down the fast runners and allow the slower runners to catch up. A more detailed description, along with history and location of clubs is located at "harrier.net."

Anyway, I was thinking of building a multicache which would first lead you to a cache containing a list of 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. Only 1 of the set would be the true trail and lead you to the next cache, while the other 1 or 2 would lead to a dead end and marked as a "dead end" cache. The "true trail" would lead you to the next cache listing another 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. In this way, you may have to backtrack if you "guess" the wrong coordinates. You could build this course as long as you want, with 3 or more checkpoints, but I think I would build the first one pretty short in total length. The HHH always end their run with chilled adult beverages, so I thought I could offer a FTF prize like a gift certificate to the local pizza joint. It might inspire a competition to complete the course with the fewest mistakes or in the quickest time and log it along with the find.

This could have already been done, and it sounds a bit like orienteering, but I would appreciate your comments and suggestions before I put one together.

This kind of cache or game works better as an event cache or a game at an event cache rather than a traditional multi-cache. I did a game at our TAG Fall Fest several years ago where each cache had a trivia question. The wrong answers led you nowhere. The correct answer led you to the next trivia question. The questions were printed on tiny envelopes that could be ripped open. Ripping open the envelope would cause you to lose points on your total. The clues were needed to ensure that cachers didn't get stuck in the middle of the game and end up having to quit. Points got you tickets for a drawing to win a GPS.

Another member of our group did a road rally game at last years event. At certain times in the road rally you have to choose which way to turn. You would be instructed that in .X miles you would see - some item. If you didn't see that item you would have to turn around and go back. So people would stop and wait to see if others came back or not before making their turns. We all ended up making many turns in a downtowin area in a small city at certain parts of the run. As cars were release at intervals and timed it really got confusing when you saw another rally car. It was hard to tell if they were behind you or in front of you. At parts of the run you could risk your time by jumping out to grab caches placed around the route. Inside the caches were bonus point items.