Thanks To The Forums

I've had passing interest in other forums before, but quickly lost interest because of numerous issues:

1) Wild, crazy personal attacks that I just didn't "get". Maybe if I was in on the joke I'd find them funny, but I just never understood posts like "Dog, I'm gonna kick the **** out of you, you stupid ****. Everyone knows Super Mario beats the **** out of Halo, and **** day of the week, you ****"

2.) Absolutely no moderation of any kind.

3.) Boring, uninteresting people who added nothing to the discussion. In addition to making my IQ go down just reading their posts, they were BORING. If you're gonna make a personal attack, at least make it interesting! *yawn*

When I first checked these forums out, I really wasn't expecting much different. Probably just a bunch of juveniles, talking about pooping on each others ammo boxes. And just how much could there be to discuss about geocaching, anyway? Boy, have I been surprised! I come by daily, and nearly always either learn something completely new, gain a new perspective on a topic, or more importantly, I LAUGH!

TO THE REGULARS: Thanks for lending your experience, but more importantly, your well-constructed arguments that promote good discussion. I am consistently impressed with some of your abilities to convey a point in 20 words or less. Most of all thanks for your wit and humor. What some may view as occasional rudeness I call having a personality. The few that do step over the line seem to get suspended in quick order. (see thanks to moderators below) Ya'll make the whole experience of the forums more interesting.

TO THE MODERATORS: Thanks for just being present! Most forums I've read didn't have any moderation at all! There are times I feel things may be a bit over-moderated, but I'd prefer this to the alternative. Most of all I appreciate your own posts, as they are often the most insightful and clear.

TO THE LURKERS AND OCCASIONAL POSTERS: Thanks for being interested enough to read through 17 pages of cache dog pictures! You seem to always bring up good questions that I had never even posed to myself.

All in all, we've got some excellent forums here, folks! I believe the biggest difference between this one and the other, more annoying discussion groups could be summed up by one word: COMMUNITY

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

Probably just a bunch of juveniles, talking about pooping on each others ammo boxes.

WHAT ... I can't believe I missed that thread! Talk about bad luck.

That thread happened on 19 Jan 2003, and it was Inside the container. I think the one about the outside of the container was just a post in a larger "have you ever messed up a cache" thread. That must of been during your forum vacation.

To the OP.

I've noticed that the people in these forums have some depth. The monodimensional folks would quickly be bored in these forums. Pluse us regulars could crush them so completly they wouldn't even know it, and would still be spouting their entire vocabulary in all it's 4 lettery glory. Everyone else would just be laughing at them.

The "To pee or not to pee" thread was pretty funny too. But seriously, I wish I'd discovered the forums when we first started caching. We had a pretty rocky start, and had to learn a lot the hard way. I've learned so much from everyone's posts, and people have been incredibly helpful whenever I've had a dumb question that's probably been answered a dozen times before. So thanks for the help and for the entertainment!